Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Housekeeping Camp Questions

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Postby stray_chicken » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:30 pm

Hi. My husband, his two college age brothers and I are staying in housekeeping camp May 5-8. We booked a river unit. My brother in law really likes to fish so the proximity to the river is real bonus. Does anyone have a recommendation for the best location/unit number to request? It would be nice for him to be able to fish near our unit and for us to have a nice view nearby. We also would prefer privacy.

I also wondered what others experience has been with housekeeping camp and which items we should bring to make the stay more comfortable. We plan to bring sleeping bags at least. Will the double and two bunks comfortable sleep 4 adults (the double bed looks small in some pictures)?
stray_chicken

Re: Housekeeping Camp Questions

Postby dan » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:15 pm

There's a map here:
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/maps/campground_maps.html
Sorry--it's the best I have. Email me one if you get a better one.

There's good pictures here:
http://www.yosemitepark.com/Accommodati ... llery.aspx
It's actually more basic than the pictures--it's just bunk beds on a concrete slab and they provide sheets and bedding. The other stuff, such as dishware, clothing, and gear you bring yourself. Click on the photo that says "without furnishings" (that you bring).

True double beds are narrow--you have to be friendly with your bedmate (such as a spouse).
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby stray_chicken » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:00 pm

Thanks for the info. I can pick out a couple of good site numbers from the map. I will let you know if I come upon a better copy. Do you know or have a guess at what the site number is for the site at the Yosemite lodging website? I can't post the URL as I have just joined the forum and don't have three posts yet (get an error saying that it won't post because it might be spam).
But it shows a sight really close to the river with a nice view. It was what attracted me to housekeeping camp in the first place.

I will be sharing the double bed with my husband. But I will bring an air mattress in case it is uncomfortable for two. I figure we need sleeping bags anyway since it should be pretty cold at night. We probably rent them or pick some up in Calfornia then leave them with Goodwilll when we are done as we don't have a good way to travel with them. We are flying into Oakland then spending two nights in Pacific Grove, driving through Big Sur, spending two nights in Three Rivers, before coming to Yosemite. I guess we should pass some department stores and have the chance to buy some basic sleeping bags.

Finally, I saw some pictures of housekeeping camp underwater in the flood in 2005. Does that happen a lot? Should I be worried?
stray_chicken

Postby dan » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:56 am

It's not too cold at night in Summer as it's only 4000' high, but early May is still nippy. You can also ask for extra blankets, but a sleeping bag is better. Here's a climate chart:
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/faq/1.html#climate

During high-snow years the Housekeeping Camp could flood in Spring (usually late May or early June), so you're probably safe with early May (although anything's possible, especially if a (unusual) warm, tropical rain occurs). So far, it doesn't look like a high-snow year either--it's just average snow level so far, but it's a little early to tell for sure for the season.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby stray_chicken » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:54 pm

Someone pointed me to a LA Times Article which recommended 4 sites (2 by the bridge and 2 by the beach) at housekeeping camp. I called and made the request. The resevationist told me that my best bet it to be there by 11:00 to register and see what is available. I doubt we will make it there that early as we will be coming from Three Rivers which is about a 3 1/2 hour drive based on google maps. If we do get one of the those sites, it would be great, but I am sure there are many other goods sites as well.

I am been finding a lot of information about things to do on these forums and in a couple of used books I found on Yosemite. It looks like there are a lot of great hikes.
stray_chicken

Postby oakroscoe » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:32 am

dan wrote: It's not too cold at night in Summer as it's only 4000' high, but early May is still nippy. You can also ask for extra blankets, but a sleeping bag is better. Here's a climate chart:
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/faq/1.html#climate

Dan, great info on that link. Only thing that has changed is they no longer offer that $50 pass. Its "America the Beautiful" good for all national parks, but its now $80.
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby roy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:55 pm

I have sent Dan a better copy of the Housekeeping Camp Map. Hopefully, it's easier to read.

You should know that while the campsites in sections A, K and J are along the river, there is a wooden rail fence between those campsites and the river with signs that say to keep out as they are trying to restore the river bank. While you can see the river, they are encouraging the trees and bushes to grow there. Thus, the river view is some what filtered. However, the views of Half Dome (looking toward the section J direction) and Yosemite Falls (looking toward the section A direction) are spectacular.

From what I remember from the signs, you only have direct river access between sections A and D and in section G (where there are sand bars built up).

If you are staying in a unit next to the river, it feels pretty private. You should know that every 2 units share an outside fire ring.

The double bed is big enough for 2 adults. Each bunk bed can also hold an adult. In both units we have stayed, the metal bunks are sort of curved in the middle. This would make it harder to roll out. The beds have vinyl covered matresses. We just throw our sleeping bags on top. If you don't have sleeping bags, they will rent you sheets, pillows, blankets, etc.

The space between the double bed and the bunkbeds would hold an air matress; but, I don't think you'll need it.

There is an electric outlet inside and another next to the countertop. While it's not roughing it, you can plug in your favorite electrical devices (or even a space heater). When we go, we use gas stoves to cook on. The fire ring is more for roasting marshmallows.

You have to wash your dishes by the bathrooms in a large outside sink (with no shelf or countertop around it). Unfortunately, at night, there isn't really a light to see what you're doing. We found headlamps to be handy while you're trying to wash the dishes as they let you keep both hands free.

You have to bring all your own wood to burn. If you forget things, the Housekeeping Grocery Store can take care of most of the basics (including wood and ice). The main grocery store in Yosemite Village has everything else you would need.

There is a light inside and a light outside. In addition to the outside light, we use a lantern.

Best of luck,

Roy

stray_chicken wrote:Hi. My husband, his two college age brothers and I are staying in housekeeping camp May 5-8. We booked a river unit. My brother in law really likes to fish so the proximity to the river is real bonus. Does anyone have a recommendation for the best location/unit number to request? It would be nice for him to be able to fish near our unit and for us to have a nice view nearby. We also would prefer privacy.

I also wondered what others experience has been with housekeeping camp and which items we should bring to make the stay more comfortable. We plan to bring sleeping bags at least. Will the double and two bunks comfortable sleep 4 adults (the double bed looks small in some pictures)?
roy

Postby dan » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:01 pm

roy wrote:I have sent Dan a better copy of the Housekeeping Camp Map. Hopefully, it's easier to read.

Thanks, Roy! Here's the map:
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/maps/housekeeping_camp.png
Last edited by dan on Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Housekeeping Camp Rules

Postby dan » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:08 pm

WELCOME TO HOUSEKEEPING CAMP
To insure that every guest has a pleasant stay we ask that you follow these guidelines.

Checkout time is 11:00 a.m. Please leave the unit in good condition. Dispose of all trash in camp dumpsters and secure dumpster clips after use. Reycling containers are located at the entrance to the camp.

Quiet hours are 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. Many guests come to Yosemite for the peace and quiet. Please respect the quiet hours. Report any noise problems to the Registration Desk.

No tents or motor homes permitted in camp.

Pets are not allowed in Housekeeping Camp. Kennel available at Valley Stables.

Food storage regulations are strictly enforced. Store ALL food in the provided food storage, lockers. Unless you are preparing or eating food, it must be properly stored. Keep a clean camp. Used food wrappers and other trash left out will attract animals and are a violation of food storage regulations.

Do not feed any park animal. Feeding Yosemite's wild animals alters their foraging behavior, concentrates their population, leads to destruction of human property and eventually the animals themselves.

Dishwashing should be done in the wash basins outside every restroom. Do not use faucets around camp or sinks inside the restrooms to wash dishes. Dumping dirty dishwater on the ground is a violation of food storage regulations.

Fires are restricted in Yosemite Valley during the summer season. Due to air quality concerns from May to September, fires are only allowed from 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. The National Park Service enforces this policy and any violation may result in a fine.

Gathering of wood, leaves or pine needles in Yosemite Valley is prohibited. Please only use dried firewood for your fire ring. Firewood is available at the Housekeeping Store and the Registration Desk. Fires are not allowed outside a designated fire ring.

The Swimming pool at Curry Village is available at no charge by showing your registration card. Laundromat is open 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.

PROTECT YOSEMITE'S WILDLIFE
All food items and other scented articles such as toiletries must be stored in metal food storage lockers.

Do not leave any food, scented items or food storage containers in your vehicle.

Keep a clean camp. Dirty dishes, food wrappers, storage containers and other trash must be properly disposed of Wash and properly store all food preparation items and dispose of ALL food trash in provided animal proof trash cans and dumpsters.

The above guidelines will help reduce the chance of personal injury or property damage. However, bear damage and confrontations are still possible, even when all guidelines are followed.

RENTAL EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE AT THE LAUNDROMAT.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite