Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Back Country mid-late august

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Back Country mid-late august

Postby DouglyStyles » Tue May 31, 2011 8:37 pm

My and my girl are living in San Diego and are planning a back country camping trip in Yosemite in mid-late August for about 4 nights (may split it into 2 and 2 depending on supplies). Neither of us have ever been there and Im wondering, so we can buy our wilderness passes soon, what areas would be good during that time? We are looking to do some hiking, so if anyone has a good 30 mile loop or something that would be superb! Really any suggestions or tips would help since we have never been. We are MOST DEFINITELY looking to avoid crowds, which i understand will be hard that time of year, but again, and sort of suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Also, as far as the wilderness passes, do you have to get one per night, or is it a one time thing for the whole trip?

Thanks in advance!
Doug
DouglyStyles

Re: Back Country mid-late august

Postby AlmostThere » Tue May 31, 2011 9:55 pm

What do you consider a crowd? You don't leave people behind unless you leave the trails.

As for wilderness permits, you get one permit for the trip. You are already too late to reserve permits for the popular trailheads - you have to do it 5 months in advance, they go fast. Check the list of full trailhead quotas for open dates from the wilderness page at http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/backpacking.htm.

I suggest for a first trip to Yosemite that you dayhike and camp with a little backpacking. Take in all the classic scenery. You can't grasp the scope of Yosemite on a 30 mile loop - you need a car to hit the high points - go to Glacier Point, Mariposa Grove, park and ride shuttles around the valley, drive over Tioga Pass - camp in Tuolumne Meadows and hike around for a couple of days. Do a three day backpack from Tuolumne Meadows to the valley and do side trips to Clouds Rest and Half Dome.

The most important things to do while in Yosemite - give yourself plenty of time to enjoy the scenery and store your food properly so the bears don't break into your car or steal your backpacking grub. There's explicit instructions on the Yosemite website.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby DouglyStyles » Tue May 31, 2011 10:52 pm

AlmostThere wrote:Do a three day backpack from Tuolumne Meadows to the valley and do side trips to Clouds Rest and Half Dome.

Thats exactly the sort of thing i was looking for. We are looking to get off the trails and go back country... No numbered campsites, no people :D

We are not looking to do the whole touristy thing this trip because we dont want to be around everyone on all the famous trails and such. Its a huge area and im sure there are amazing things to see no matter where we are.

What we have been researching/thinking about is finding some sort of loop that would take us about 3-5 days to complete. Or ideas of good spots to go for a couple of nights at time.

Thanks again!
DouglyStyles

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:38 am

What you are going to miss is the awesomeness of Yosemite. The stuff that draws the tourists is worth seeing - you're going to miss a lot!

I suggest you get a map and research the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne - not a loop but you can look up YARTS schedules, leave a car at one end, and do the route in 3 -4 leisurely days.

Also look at Ten Lakes to May Lake to Glen Aulin to Tuolumne Meadows - still highly recommending a few days in Tuolumne Meadows, dayhiking and camping, since while it is crowded in the campground itself, it is easy to walk around and get away from people, and not prone to traffic jams like the Valley is. You will run into people in Glen Aulin but, you will run into people everywhere. To be truly remote you need to either leave the trail or be more than a couple days hike from the road.

You are going to wish as you were driving by some of the major attractions on the way to the trailhead that you had taken my advice... trust me.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby DouglyStyles » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:11 pm

So we are thinking about the 10 lakes area. Maybe taking a day to get up there and find a loop back. Any ideas on that area? Is it supposed to be busy? We basically are looking for a 3-4 day/3 night 20-25 mile loop.

Thanks again!!
Doug
DouglyStyles

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds