Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

questions about clothing, GPS, etc.

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

questions about clothing, GPS, etc.

Postby jimbo » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:49 am

I have a few additional questions regarding Yosemite.

How cold does it get at night in mid August? I just saw another post saying some roads are still closed and won't open until July 1st. There is probably not going to be snow in mid August, but may still be cold, so I just want to make sure to have brought enough cloth, especially since my parents are coming with us as well.

Is there a specific address for the visitor's center that I can punch into the gps? I didn't try the gps, but using google map, if I just put yosemite national park as the destination, it seems to take me to a road that loops around instead of a specific place or parking lot.

This may be an obvious question - I probably should bring some flashlight/spotlight for star gazing at night, right?

Are the roads open 24 hours a day? I think I read somewhere saying some roads close after sunset. Just want to make sure I can leave late at night to go back to motel. Thanks.
jimbo

Re: questions about clothing, GPS, etc.

Postby dan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:56 am

jimbo wrote:How cold does it get at night in mid August? I just saw another post saying some roads are still closed and won't open until July 1st.

All roads are open for the season--here's a webpage with the status:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

jimbo wrote:There is probably not going to be snow in mid August, but may still be cold, so I just want to make sure to have brought enough cloth, especially since my parents are coming with us as well.

Here's a climate chart. Colder for the high country (such as Tuolumne Meadows). Yosemite Valley is warm or hot (it's only 4000'):
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/faq/1.html#climate
Also look at a weather page
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... =-119.5851

jimbo wrote:Is there a specific address for the visitor's center that I can punch into the gps? I didn't try the gps, but using google map, if I just put yosemite national park as the destination, it seems to take me to a road that loops around instead of a specific place or parking lot.

The USPS post office is just south of the Visitor Center:
US Post Office, Yosemite National Park, 9017 Village Drive, Yosemite Natl Pk, CA 95389-9912

jimbo wrote:This may be an obvious question - I probably should bring some flashlight/spotlight for star gazing at night, right?

I don't, but if you do, put a red covering over the flashlight so it doesn't ruin your night vision.

jimbo wrote:Are the roads open 24 hours a day? I think I read somewhere saying some roads close after sunset. Just want to make sure I can leave late at night to go back to motel. Thanks.

The only road that closes after sunset is the road to Hetch Hetchy Reservoir. They are worried about terrorists. All the other roads are open 24/7.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: questions about clothing, GPS, etc.

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:04 am

Yosemite or anywhere in the Sierra at higher elevations, you should be ready for below freezing temps - I've been snowed on in August for three years running. I have 20F insulation for sleeping at night and if it got colder I would put on my down jacket as well. Doesn't mean it's always that cold, but it is routinely below freezing in summer in places like Little Yosemite Valley and higher.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite