Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Camping between Clouds Rest and Half Dome

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Postby Cindy Majewski » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:24 pm

I am planning a four night backpack in early August and was planning one backcountry site between Clouds Rest and Half Dome. I had considered heading about one mile north of the Half Dome/John Muir Trail junction, but am concerned about the lack of water in that area. We will be coming from Sunrise Lakes across Clouds Rest, down the trail that heads southwest to a junction with the John Muir Trail. Is Sunrise Creek a reliable water source? Is it accessible from this trail juction?

Maps also show a spring off a side trail of the Half Dome Trail about 3/4 of a mile north of the junction with the John Muir Trail. Is that spring accessible? reliable?

Thanks for your advice!
Cindy Majewski

Re: Camping between Clouds Rest and Half Dome

Postby dan » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:36 pm

My Favorite camping spot in the area is where the Clouds Rest trail and John Muir Trail merge. There's lots of campsites here in the shade and there's a small creek nearby. The water is reliable. Don't camp next to the creek as there's too many mosquitos (and it damages the creek bank). There's bears here--so put all your food in a bear barrel. It's about 1/4 mile west of another creek, Sunrise Creek.

The spring on the map on the Half Dome Trail is not reliable--at least for me. It gets pretty muddy and there's many thirsty hikers there who brought little or no water at all desperately trying to get water. However, with patience it might work. I wouldn't count on it.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Cindy Majewski » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:05 am

Thanks Dan, this is very helpful information! Thanks for all the effort you put into this forum, I've learned a lot from reading earlier posts also.
Cindy Majewski

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking