Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Mosquitos in Tuolumne ??

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Mosquitos in Tuolumne ??

Postby tomthumb » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:02 pm

Headed to Tuolumne next week. Wondering how the Mosquitos are at this time up there?
Any tried and true repellents?
tomthumb

Re: Mosquitos in Tuolumne ??

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:35 pm

They'll be out. 30% DEET works really well. So do headnets.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:46 am

AlmostThere wrote:They'll be out. 30% DEET works really well. So do headnets.

I strongly second the DEET and headnets. Also long-sleeved shirts and long pants, at least in the evenings and mornings. Tents work at night--keep that mosquito fly zipped. I avoid DEET and prefer to cover, but I still use DEET and prefer it to mosquito bits and the new diseases that some now carry.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby QITNL » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:52 pm

We were up at TM last weekend. The skeeters were surprisingly tolerable, in many areas negligible, far less worse than I was expecting. Evenings were nice and cool, if they stay that way you may be equally lucky.
QITNL
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby tomthumb » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:01 pm

That's music to my ears! Thanks for the update. I'll post what I experience when I return 8/1.
tomthumb

Postby hotrod4x5 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:08 pm

Deet is deadly. I got picaridin at Target and it works almost as well, maybe had to reapply it sooner than deet, but I know it won't poison my skin or ruin anything I get it on like Deet can.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:23 am

hotrod4x5 wrote:Deet is deadly. I got picaridin at Target and it works almost as well, maybe had to reapply it sooner than deet, but I know it won't poison my skin or ruin anything I get it on like Deet can.

20-30% works better than 100% DEET and doesn't melt things.

I tried Picardin. I prefer not being bitten. Long sleeves (loose, because they bite through) and a headnet, and a little DEET on the backs of the hands, minimizes the problem.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:41 am

There was a package of 30% deet at the Yosemite store that was leaking I saw last month. The hard plastic bubble around the bottle had partially melted. Perhaps it was the constant exposure, more than you might have on your body, but it was kind of a wake up call for me, after listening to my GF for a long time poopoo deet.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite