Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Hiking in Winter

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Hiking in Winter

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:59 pm

hiking in winter
Author: paul jakowski (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: 01-25-06 09:03

This may seem completely stupid to most, but, coming from a country where the only dangerous wildlife are the packs of thugs on the street, i was wondering if it safe to carry food in your backpack while hiking in winter /feb? I am refering to bears naturally, and was wondering if i would have to use bear canisters. Any input and advice would be greatly recieved, thanks, Paul.J.

Bear canisters in winter
Author: Dan Anderson (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: 01-25-06 10:14

You ask the rangers, they will say you have to use a bear canister.

Between you and me, I've never used a bear canister in Winter. I've never had problems.

I've had several problems in summer with bears before bear canisters were in widespread use and now I use canisters all the time when backpacking in summer in or near Yosemite.

In winter, I've never had a problem and don't worry about my food. I've seen bear tracks in winter, but never had a bear come by a camp in winter.

- Dan

Re: hiking in winter
Author: paul jakowski (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: 01-26-06 08:55

Thanks Dan, much appreciated. I'm so much looking forward to being in Yosemite again. Does much climbing go on during the winter? i'm hoping to do a little bit of bouldering around camp 4 and Ahwanee meadow, any pointers or tips would be great. Cheers.

Author: Dan Anderson (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: 01-26-06 09:29

I don't see as much climbing and bouldering in winter as in summer--the rocks must be pretty cool, even in the mid-day sun. I see some bouldering though. Ask the climbers who hang out in Camp 4 or in the Yosemite Lodge cafeteria (southwest corner, next to the Women's bathroom)

Author: paul j (---.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com)
Date: 01-27-06 08:01

Thanks Dan, much appreciated.

Author: Karl (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 01-27-06 10:55

Although the bears slow down in the winter, I have seen them in the valley so I think it would be wise to be on the safe side and store the food properly. Winter is a great time for climbing in the valley. The trick is to find dry routes. It can get really nice on a sunny day on the north side of the valley even if there is snow on the ground.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Winter in Yosemite