Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

wood fires near the cathedral lake region

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

wood fires near the cathedral lake region

Postby biedlr » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:41 am

So I have a backpacking permit the 21-23 of September. Entering the cathedral lake trailhead. I have been doing research via the NPS site and various traveler posts. I know the general rule of thumb is that no fires are permitted above 9,600 feet and must be contained in a existing fire ring. When I read about upper and lower cathedral lake overnight stays, this is what I have learned so far.

No fires are permitted at all near the lower cathedral lake area. Also no fires are permitted at all near the upper cathedral lake area. Even though both seem below 9,600 feet on the map. I have read the no fires near lower lake from the NPS site. Nothing was mentioned about upper lake area, but I have read that there is a sign near the upper lake that states no fires.

Are there sites along the John Muir trail leading up to the lake area, within .25 to .50 mile of the lakes that have existing fire rings. I know camping is permitted anywhere off the trail within a certain distance and there must already be a site made to camp. I am seeking any advice on this from hikers who have knowledge on this region and have had a fire somewhat close to this area before. Not being able to have a fire is not a deal breaker for me, but it would be nice to know that the option exists somewhere near the lakes. I dont mind camping off the trail but how do I find existing fire rings?? I want to follow the rules and be a responsible camper.

Thanks
biedlr
First-timer
First-timer

Re: wood fires near the cathedral lake region

Postby QITNL » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:37 pm

If you wish to be a responsible camper, I'd encourage you not to build a campfire in that area.

We could nit-pick the rules and try to find you a loophole. The rules are overly-complicated because few people use their heads. Or you could just ignore them as many people do.

But take a look around you. You're at timberline. The old rugged trees around you are an amazing example of life. Why some folks feel compelled to hack at them and burn them is something I cannot understand.

Look at the thin layer of soil covering the granite at your feet. The food source for the flora around you is dead plants, downed wood.

Enjoy nature as a part of it, not opposed to it. Campfires are overrated.
QITNL
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite