Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

snow shoeing the mariposa grove

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

snow shoeing the mariposa grove

Postby Marmot » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:40 pm

last winter when i hiked up the mariposa grove in the snow without any snow shoes. i thought it'd be fun to have a pair of snow shoes this next time when i go again this winter - as i was sinking in a few feet at a lot of spots when i went. anybody know where I may be able to buy some snow shoes at? If there aren't any near by places i could order some online i suppose
Last edited by Marmot on Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marmot
Regular
Regular

Re: snow shoeing the mariposa grove

Postby dan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:47 am

REI is in Fresno. Call them. If they don't stock them, you can order them online and have them deliver to the store (free) or to your home (money). It's always nice to try them on first before buying. You want "touring snowshoes", not the mountaineering kind. Women's snowshoes are more narrow, and men's snowshoes are wider.

The Mountain Shop in Yosemite Valley may have some snowshoes. They tend to be more expensive than REI.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:22 pm

You can rent at REI or Herb Bauer in Fresno, or drive over to Badger Pass and back to the grove to rent from there.

You can buy them all over online - Sierra Trading Post, REI, Moosejaw, Campmor and lots of other sites.

Check with the outdoor store in Oakhurst, too. I would be surprised if they did not at least sell them.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Marmot » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:36 am

oh fantastic, thank you both :D
Marmot
Regular
Regular

Postby Nacci » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:45 pm

I have heard that you can rent snowshoes at Tenaya Lodge. Don't know if it's true ~ call first.
Nacci
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:30 am

I got mine on ebay for about half of what brick and mortar stores charge.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Winter in Yosemite