Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Concerned with lack of snow for my June trip

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Concerned with lack of snow for my June trip

Postby nemesis256 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:01 pm

To have a trip planned for the first week of June, but when I see how many sunny days Yosemite is getting recently, without any precipitation, I'm wondering just how poorly the waterfalls will flow when I'm there. I'm thinking I may want to reschedule my trip to the first week of May, to have a better chance of water flow, but even with a minimal amount of snow, will the roads to Glacier Point and Tioga Pass be open that early? Should I be concerned? Please advise.
nemesis256

Re: Concerned with lack of snow for my June trip

Postby dan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:10 pm

I don't think it will help. The problem is lack of water. I will still melt in late May or June, it's just a matter of how much will melt then.

In any case, it won't warm up earlier because there's less snow. So rescheduling to early May won't help.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby nemesis256 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:57 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I know it won't warm up earlier, but with less snow, it will all melt more quickly. Plus the fact that they've had a couple days in the 60s recently :shock:
nemesis256

Postby rick56 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:51 am

This Winter has been a dry one. Currently March 15 2012 it is rainning lightly in Sacramento and has been rainning off and on for a few days now. The forcast is rain through this weekend and then mostly-party cloudy Mon & Tuesday. I am planning a short backpack trip in July (my first in Yosemite) and now I am hopeful that there will be ample water from these storms? We still have four to five months til then and more rain and snow can occur. I am also very glad its rainning so hopefully we don't have a bad wild fire season. I think we will both be fine if we get a few more storms like this before we go. Have fun.
rick56
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite