Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Best camping in the valley?

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Best camping in the valley?

Postby Cass234 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:44 am

We are going to be visiting Yosemite this summer (I know, registration is right around the corner!!) and we aren't sure which campground to stay in. We are thinking the valley because we'd like to be close to all the attractions the valley has to offer. However, we have camped for a while and do not like crowds. I know summer is probably the busiest time but we don't have any other options for when we can visit. We are thinking August.

Anyway, what campgrounds (within the entire park) would you recommend? We would like secluded/wooded sites that aren't too close to each other, and if possible a site right by the water would be amazing. Outside the valley, Wawona was really appealing to us...

Also: Within the valley, which campgroud would likely be best for us?

Thank you!
Cass234

Re: Best camping in the valley?

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:44 am

In the valley the sites are all about the same - in a pine forest and plenty of people all around you. Wawona when busy looks like a parking lot next to the river.

My favorites are Tuolumne Meadows and Bridalveil - TM is just as crowded but 50% are first come first serve, which is all I do anymore. Bridalveil is all first come first serve. Both are more wooded and have some sites that are a little apart from others.

If you want to stay out of crowds, Yosemite isn't a good destination in summer.... You can expect the valley in particular to be where the majority of the people are. I try to arrange trips so that I am driving in the valley only in the morning or skirting around it completely.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds