Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

backpacking stoves in Valley camp grounds

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

backpacking stoves in Valley camp grounds

Postby spriestman » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:19 am

Hi,
Can I use small backpacking stoves for cooking in the Valley? I can find info on fire rings but not on stoves. Thank you!
spriestman

Re: backpacking stoves in Valley camp grounds

Postby dan » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:55 pm

Yes. You can use small backpacking stoves and larger Coleman-type picnic stoves in Yosemite campgrounds.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ryanpd » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:41 pm

I am going to be staying in curry village and want to cook with a stand up coleman gas grill.
I am still trying to find out the best picnic area to go cook in but on top of that, do they have facilities there to clean your plates/dishes/ the grill itself?
Or do I need to bring my own potable water to clean my utensils and such?
ryanpd

Postby dan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:39 pm

The Yosemite picnic areas do not usually have wash areas or basins. They have bathrooms, but no running water. There is sometimes drinking water, but washing dishes is not allowed ehre.

When camping I bring a small plastic basin for washing dishes or use paper plates and plasticware.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ryanpd » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:32 pm

The wife wanted to bring paper plates and all but I was feeling guilty about that, but yeah, is that fairly common then?
I just didn't want to bring a bunch of trash.

thanks for the reply!
ryanpd

Postby dan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:59 pm

ryanpd wrote:The wife wanted to bring paper plates and all but I was feeling guilty about that, but yeah, is that fairly common then?
I just didn't want to bring a bunch of trash.

Yeah, I hear you about the paper plates and extra trash and waste. But it's really inconvenient to wash without wash basins and water. You could go the middle ground and reuse plates and plastic ware that aren't really dirty.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:25 pm

Theoretically speaking, you could walk into the Upper Pines campground from the Mirror Lake road (for lack of knowing the exact name) and wash your dishes without being hassled. Then when you return to your tent at Curry, put it all in your bear box. When we stayed in a tent cabin in curry village, the bell hop (yes, we had so much stuff we used the bell hop) told us we could boil water in our tent, then take that water to the lounge and use it to make whatever we wanted. We did that to make hot cereal in the AM. But of course, you can make a lot freeze dried foods with that water if you want.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:48 am

dan wrote:Yes. You can use small backpacking stoves and larger Coleman-type picnic stoves in Yosemite campgrounds.

Second that!!
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds