Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Backpacking with my 4 year old son

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in the Sierra Nevada and elsewhere outside Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Backpacking with my 4 year old son

Postby jtborn » Thu May 03, 2012 7:03 pm

I'm looking for some advice.

I want to take my 4 year old son on a Short backpacking trip. I live in the central valley of CA. I was wondering where I could go off either highways 120, 108, or 4. I only want to take him in about a couple miles, tent camp one night, then head back to the car. it would be nice to be near a stream or water source. Not sure of where to park, where I can camp, permits, etc?

Any advice would be helpful!
jtborn

Re: Backpacking with my 4 year old son

Postby AlmostThere » Fri May 04, 2012 5:45 pm

May Lake, Polly Dome Lakes, or Saddlebag Lake. The first two require permits from Yosemite and may be difficult to manage. Saddlebag is easy on the permitting - you get one from Inyo NF - and there is a ferry to cut miles off the hike around the lake, then it is easy walking to many small lakes in the area at which to camp.

Emigrant wilderness is a good option - no quotas for permits and there are lakes within a short hike of some of the trailheads.

For info on wilderness permits for all of these google each location and "wilderness permit."
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jtborn » Fri May 04, 2012 9:50 pm

Thank you so much, I'll check those out!
jtborn

Postby orion » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:19 am

Lake Eleanor is pretty accessible, reasonable altitude, just over a mile hike in, swimmable temps most of the summer, but rattlesnakes can be a concern with small children.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:05 am

redfox1939 wrote:Murietta Falls via Ohlone Wilderness Trail.It takes strong legs and an even stronger sense of humor to take on the trek to Murietta Falls. If you can laugh off the prospect of hiking six miles one way with over 4,000 feet of ascent for a waterfall without any actual water in it, you have a strong chance of enjoying this hike.

(spammy link removed)

Seriously, do you HATE four year olds?
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:37 pm

AlmostThere wrote:Seriously, do you HATE four year olds?
Actually that was a spammer from the Philippines who doesn't have a clue.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Hiking & backpacking outside Yosemite National Park