Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Visting in June & I have a question?

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Visting in June & I have a question?

Postby Techie714 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:24 pm

Hello & thank you for taking the time to read & respond to my post. The wife & I are going to Yosemite in mid June & I've put together our itinary. I was wondering if you folks have any suggestions for us that are "not to be missed" based on what I have so far.

Monday:
Yosemite Valley Floor Tour
Bike Rental (Ride the paved trails?)

Tuesday:
Adventure Hike (6 Hour Hike to some of the most popular places around the valley)
Moonlight Tour of the Valley Floor (Basically same tour as the day but at night) I'm still on the fence with this one?

Wednesday:
Mist Trail Hike
Mariposa Grove

Thursday:
We are thinking of leaving this day unless you folks tell us were missing some important sights?

Side note: Any places we should stop on the way up or the way back? (Ghost towns, Monuments, Towns, etc.) Were coming from Southern Californina.
Techie714

Re: Visting in June & I have a question?

Postby AlmostThere » Tue May 15, 2012 3:02 pm

All of Tioga Pass - just driving and taking pictures from overlooks is great. Walk around tuolumne meadows and spend time at tenaya lake. If you did one short hike make it gaylor lakes from the eastern gate, no one has been disappointed with that despite the short steep half mile climb.

I hope you already have somewhere to stay the night.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Techie714 » Tue May 15, 2012 3:10 pm

Thank you for the response we will be staying at Cedar Lodge in El Portal. I will DEFIANTLY be adding your suggestions & working on adding it to our itinerary. We booked 5 days but I was planning on staying 4, with the stuff you have added I'll probably need that 5th day. Of those suggestions could some of them be done in 1 day & in what order? Thank you!!
Techie714

Postby AlmostThere » Tue May 15, 2012 5:53 pm

Tioga Road is one suggestion, with many side trips you could take if you want to hike. There are also destinations outside the east gate, like Saddlebag Lake or Mono Lake (all the way down the pass). You could spend more time on the east side - easily, another day or two visiting places like Bodie (a ghost town) or getting more than just a visitor's center outing on Mono Lake. There's a kayak rental place over there and you can paddle around Mono Lake.

If you really looked into it, you'd probably want another week to spend - there's way too much stuff to do in the Sierra.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Wed May 30, 2012 1:36 am

Techie714 wrote:Hello & thank you for taking the time to read & respond to my post. The wife & I are going to Yosemite in mid June & I've put together our itinary. I was wondering if you folks have any suggestions for us that are "not to be missed" based on what I have so far.

Monday:
Yosemite Valley Floor Tour
Bike Rental (Ride the paved trails?)

Tuesday:
Adventure Hike (6 Hour Hike to some of the most popular places around the valley)
Moonlight Tour of the Valley Floor (Basically same tour as the day but at night) I'm still on the fence with this one?

Wednesday:
Mist Trail Hike
Mariposa Grove

Thursday:
We are thinking of leaving this day unless you folks tell us were missing some important sights?

Side note: Any places we should stop on the way up or the way back? (Ghost towns, Monuments, Towns, etc.) Were coming from Southern Californina.

Personally, IMO you are spending way too much time on the Valley Floor compared to what can be seen in other places that are much better. If it was me I would do this:
Monday - OK, everyone should spend some time on the Valley Floor it is spectacular in it's own right. Monday is good

Tuesday Mariposa Grove, hike to the General. Head back and go up Glacier Point road. Hike Sentinel Dome, then go to Glacier Point - then do the Moonlight tour

Wednesday Mist Trail Hike, then Mirror Meadow/Lake(Gives you some nice close ups of Half Dome,) and when you finish the Mist Trail, you are sort of in the area.

Thursday May Lake, Olmsted Point,Lake Tenaya, Lembert Dome, Gaylor/Granite Lakes, Lee Vining Canyon.
This gives you a pretty complete tour of the park.
Monday you are in the Valley
monday has you on the Valley Floor, Tuesday\Wednesday you visit Wawona and the Glacier Point Area, and Thursday you cover Toulumne Meadows. This has you seeing every major portion of the park.
Glacier Point views are far and distant vista's. Wawona, and Toulumne Meadows has you a more up close and personal. Although the views along Tioga Road once you pass White Wolf are pretty spectacular.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite