Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Venus on parade

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in the Sierra Nevada and elsewhere outside Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Venus on parade

Postby balzaccom » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:53 pm

I took this photo with my Blackberry through a friend's telescope here in Napa. And with the annular exclipse earlier this year, it's been a good astronomy show in 2012!

the odd blue light on the right is an optical effect...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Venus on parade

Postby dan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:54 am

Nice picture--I like all the sunspots too.

I saw the transit of Venus through welder's goggles (same pair I used to see the partial eclipse last month and a total eclipse several years ago). Venus was on the upper right of the Sun. I seen telescope pictures with Venus on the lower left, so I assume the telescope made a 180 degree mirror image.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Hiking & backpacking outside Yosemite National Park