Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Overnight parking in Tenaya Lake?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Overnight parking in Tenaya Lake?

Postby Wolf » Thu May 08, 2008 5:23 pm

I'm planning a 4-day backpacking trip entering from Tenaya Lake. Just wondering where should I park my car?

Any advice for the following trip?
Day 1 Hike to Sunrise and camp there
Day 2, Hike from Sunrise and set camp in near cloud rest or LYV, then summit Half Dome with light gear. Is it too much or ok to do?
Day 3, We may go back to Sunrise again (any other good place to go/camp?)
Day 4 hike back to Tenaya Lake.
Wolf
Wolf
Regular
Regular

Re: Overnight parking in Tenaya Lake?

Postby dan » Thu May 08, 2008 9:13 pm

There's several parking areas--two on the west and east side of the lake, and two on the north side of the lake opposite Tioga Road of trailheads there. It sounds like you want the one on the west side of the lake.

Sunrise is beautiful, especially in the morning in the meadows. Stay away from the High SIerra Camp--too crowded for me.

A good campground is where the trail south from Clouds Rest intersects the JMT. There's a branch of Sunrise Creek and its in the trees. No good camping near Clouds Rest (no water).

The trip sounds very doable. It's a lot easier to start from Tenaya Lake than Yosemite Valley.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wolf » Fri May 09, 2008 9:20 am

Thanks so much
Wolf
Wolf
Regular
Regular

Postby Wolf » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:44 pm

I'm also wondering what is the temperature like up there? Thanks
Wolf
Wolf
Regular
Regular

Temps

Postby adrianhoff » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:27 pm

In mid-July last year, at the Sunrise backpacker's camp, I awoke to frost on the outside my tent. Four days earlier at Vogelsang (similar elevation) the overnight low was well above 40. Three nights before that at Little Yosemite Valley (lower elevation) nighttime temps stayed in the 50s. Over the ten days I was out, daytime highs ranged from mid-80s to low-70s.
adrianhoff
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Wolf » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:35 pm

I expect it to be cold but didn't think it would be that cold. thanks so much. That helps a lot.
Wolf
Wolf
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking