Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Has anyone hiked half dome recently?

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Has anyone hiked half dome recently?

Postby stripgaga » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:08 pm

I've seen the weather reports, but I just wanted to see if anyone has hiked half dome recently and is able to report how hot it was when you hiked up?
stripgaga
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Has anyone hiked half dome recently?

Postby AUstricken » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:03 pm

I did last Monday and it was high 70's. Very cool up top. Not hot at all.
AUstricken
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Has anyone hiked half dome recently?

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:39 pm

Check the NOAA website for Yosemite valley in the week leading up to the day you go for an accurate assessment of what it will be like.

Right now it is pushing 100F in the central valley and Yosemite Valley is frequently not much cooler. It's currently 96F at Happy Isles, according to NOAA, and I would not doubt it. The weather has been unusually cool for short periods, interspersed with our usual July heat.

Best way to do Half Dome is to get a very early morning start, get up the switchbacks as quickly as you can before it heats up.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Half Dome Hiking