Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

backpackers campground

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

backpackers campground

Postby dbiggs » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:10 pm

I am going to be backpacking for 5 days beginning June 20th, starting at the Glen Aulin trailhead. Is the backpackers camp at Tuolumne open for camping the night before and the night after? If not, what is the closest first come first serve campground that is open.

Another question, what are the chances now of finding an empty camp site in the valley on Tuesday the 24th?
dbiggs

Re: backpackers campground

Postby dan » Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:39 pm

The walkin Backpackers Campground in Tuolumne Campground is open to all backpackers with a permit for the night before and after. No cars--just you and your tent and backpack.

I doubt you'll find a campground in the Valley in June--they are very popular in summer.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby holz » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:59 pm

Hi Dan,

I am likely to end up in a backpacker's campground the night before I set out.

From what you are saying here, I won't be able to park my car near my site? Is that true? Generally, I wouldn't use my backpacking tent for camping such as this, but it sounds like I may need to.

Can you give me any more details as to how the backpacking campgrounds work? I will probably be at Tuolumne Meadows.

Thanks!
holz
holz
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby dan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:49 pm

Here's a map showing Tuolumne Campground, including the backpacker site.

http://www.yosemite.ca.us/maps/tuolumne ... nd_map.jpg

There's no provision for cars. You can park the car and carry stuff in, but you need to leave the car somewhere else (for example the backpackers parking lot at the wilderness office about 1/2 mile east. There may be a closer place to leave your car. Maybe the Tuolumne Store or the Gas Station???

I never camped at the backpackers campground there--I usually start there the morning I get there.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby holz » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:32 am

Thanks Dan,
I live down here in Paso Robles. Last year while hiking around Cottonwood Lakes, I learned the value of spending a night at altitude prior to getting on the trail. So, what I usually do is take some car camping gear that I haul from the car to the site (usually just a tarp and an air bed) meaning I don't have to spend much time packing the next AM before I head out.
As long as I can get close to the site with my car to unload/reload in the AM, this will be fine.

Thanks for the note, it is greatly appreciated.
holz
holz
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds