Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

suggestions on making most of 4 days

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

suggestions on making most of 4 days

Postby josh77 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:14 pm

My wife and I will be in Yosemite June 25 through the 30th. I'm hoping for some advice on day hikes - a mix of strenuous and more casual that will give us optimum coverage of the park without needing to stay out overnight. From some of the postings I've read Cloud Rest starting from Tenaya Lake would be a good day. It also looked like the Yosemite Falls Trail up to either Eagle Peak or the top of El Capitan would be another good day. Any suggestions on these first two choices? And any advice on other hikes that will give us a chance to see the best parts of the valley? Thanks for the help!

Joshua
josh77

Postby Grzldvt » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:37 pm

Forget another hike that overlooks the valley and hike to Vogelsang out of Toulumne Meadows via Lyell Canyon or Rafferty Creek - difficult(long).
Out of May Lake area do Mt Hoffman, the geographic center of the park - moderately difficult.
I am headed there this weekend so I can let you know the conditions.

Off of Tioga Road, Mono Pass to Parker Pass, actually go another mile further to the base of Koip Peak - moderate - Let me know if you decide on this one, the trail cuts across a meadow and generally is overgrown. Not too tough, you just have to keep your eye on the trail going right out to the meadow.
Out of Tioga Pass entrance - Gaylor/Granite Lakes then cross country south to the edge to big views. - easy

Out of Toulumne Meadows, head to Young Lakes via Dog Lake, but don't go all the way. About 4 miles in you come to an open area with gorgeous views, take a lunch break and come back down - moderate

Out of Toulumne - Head down to Glen Aulin, you will cross 4 creeks, they should be easy, if not dry crossings, watch for a huge granite opening that is pure granite from the river to the top of the peak. Hike to the top of the peak, and enjoy views of the Cathedral Range and Toulumne meadows. - easy

Edge of Toulumne Meadows - Pothole Dome - Big surprise - very easy

Glacier Point Road - Sentinel Dome/Taft Point - very, very easy
There is also the Panorama Trail out of Glacier Point, but it is a point to point and again views of the valley.

The above hikes give you a good variety of terrain and views.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Day hikes

Postby adrianhoff » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:59 am

Hike the Panorama Trail from Glacier Point to the top of Nevada Falls. From there, take the Mist trail (or the John Muir trail) back to Happy Isles. This is a few miles longer than simply doing a round trip on the Mist trail, but you save about 2,500 feet in elevation gain by starting at Glacier Point. And the views along the Panorama are great. You can take the Glacier Point Bus ($20.00 one-way) to Glacier Point. According to their website: It departs at 8:30am, 10am and 1:30pm from Yosemite Lodge, Shuttle Stop #8. Reservations can be made in advance at any Tour & Activity Desk, or by calling (209) 372-4386.

I also really like the trail to North Dome, and the longer of the two trails through the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias.
adrianhoff
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

where to find good trail maps

Postby josh77 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:14 pm

thanks for the excellent advice on trails that will allow Nadine and I to take in the most of Yosemite in our short stay near the end of this month. I printed out a trail map of the lower half of the park, but I'm having a hard time finding well marked out trails via the internet. Any suggestions? I'm wondering as well if the reason their is a lack in this area is because the trails in the park are easy to find and follow, is that and accurate assumption?

thanks for the input -

Joshua
josh77

Maps

Postby adrianhoff » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:37 am

All Yosemite trails I’ve hiked have been well marked and easy to follow. There are areas, traversing granite, where there's no well-worn footpath to follow. Here the trail will be marked by cairns, (piles of rocks) that some people find difficult to spot. I’ve never had trouble spotting them, but I’ve hiked with people who did.

I print maps from the National Geographic National Parks Explorer CD ($50.00 at REI). It covers all national parks, not just Yosemite. The $12.00 National Geographic / Trails Illustrated Yosemite National Park Trail Map has all of the major trails on a single map. There’s also a series of more detailed National Geographic / Trails Illustrated Yosemite section maps that are about $8.00 apiece.

www.rei.com/search?query=Yosemite+maps& ... utton.y=15

Or go to REI.com and search “Yosemite maps”.
adrianhoff
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking