Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Please don't bring your dogs to Yosemite.

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Please don't bring your dogs to Yosemite.

Postby airrj » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:06 pm

I have been in the valley working for the month of July and I have watched dozens of people drag their dogs along in the Valley in the 100 degree heat. So just a warning for those of you that are thinking about coming to the Valley and want to bring your animals, there are very few places to go with your animals, and the blacktop paths that you can take you animals on is very hot. Niether of you will likely enjoy yourselves.

And FYI dogs are not allowed on the hiking trails in Yosemite.

I love dogs and I like to travel with mine, but Yosemite is not a dog friendly place.

Enjoy the Park!
R.J.
airrj
Regular
Regular

Dogs in Yosemite

Postby arf7oaks » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:25 pm

Yosemite is not a dog friendly place

While I agree that dogs historically are not wildly welcomed in Yosemite; (Even John Steinbeck had arguments with a ranger over his canine companion!) Traveling in this NP is not much different than most. Only a careless dog owner would walk on blacktop in the heat of the day in the middle of summer. Sunrise walks are cooler, less crowded and you and your pet can practice being still and silent if you come upon a deer. My golden retriever and I watched 5 deer peacefully feed from the paved road to Mirror lake, for what seemed like an eternity, only to be disturbed by a crowd of bike riders.
A long leash and accessibility to the river make a much better midday play time, followed by a siesta in the shade of a cedar or oak.

Lodging in hotels is verboten unless yours is an ADA service animal, ditto for dinning in the restaurants. A dog locked in a car, even with the window cracked is a dead dog in the heat of the day, and easy prey for door popping bears at any other time of day or Night. Sequoia NP is the same. I've had little trouble camping with a dog in Yosemite, except once when I stupidly left the dog food in the trunk. I even put the scented deodorants in the bear box with the toothbrush but I neglected the most obvious bear attractant! :oops: Thank you Bear for only leaving a few giant paw-prints and scratches on the rear of my vehicle. :shock: Mistakes like mine kill bears in the long run. I hope the Bear Spirit will forgive me and claim no harm, no foul.:mrgreen: Now I keep a clean car, clean campsite and stay away from commercial activity when ever I visit a natural cathedral like Yosemite.
arf7oaks
First-timer
First-timer

Postby Heybooboo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:15 pm

I agree with both of you. Leave your pets home! They are not having fun. They are animals, not humans (if some of you haven't figured that out by now). They will not remember the time in the valley. Do not visit any national park, monument or state park with your pet.
Smarter than the average bear.
Heybooboo
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Wickett » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:52 am

I have seen cats on leashes there, parrots too for that matter, but that was from the senior crowd who tires out before the animals.

I also have had the unfortunate pleasure of an unleashed pitbull on a trail while backpacking. Luckily a friendly one who just jumped on me and knocked me on my butt.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mariposite » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:30 pm

The problem with an unleashed dog on a trail is that when they are charging ahead and they do see a Mt. Lion they usually run back to their master. Ah! You, Mr. Master, are now the BIGGER and slower snack.
Keep it Local - Keep it Real
mariposite

are you people serious?

Postby comicone999 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:09 am

First of all I am very offended at some of what has been said in this forum about bringing your dog to Yosemite and other national parks. I have a husky and we are actually at Yosemite right now. She is having an absolute blast hiking through the snow and really enjoyed seeing the coyote we came across yesterday. (We were in the car with the windows rolled up when the coyote came right to the window, I'm not stupid) I agree that if I owned a Chihuahua that dog probably wouldn't be a good fit up here, but I would think any working/sporting dog would be a good fit here. I would absolutely bring her again, I agree that when temperatures are over 100, probably not the best idea. I have been to Yosemite before and bringing my dog with me has made this trip a lot more enjoyable for me as well. I'm glad to have the opportunity to share this experience with my dog.
comicone999

Postby Nacci » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:49 pm

Offended? Why? The previous posters are dog lovers and suggesting ways to help your dog to have a great experience (probably not in Yosemite!) July in the Valley, on a backcountry trail, off leash ... not good ideas and in some cases illegal. Yosemite is federal property, so citations are federal.

I'm glad that you found a fully paved trail with snow for your husky to enjoy while on her 6' leash.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/pets.htm
Nacci
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: are you people serious?

Postby dan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:04 am

I have a golden retriever. Dogs like to run around and it's hard to do that when they are restricted to a leash on paved roads. It's enjoyable to have my dog with me on trips, but if I bring my dog I much rather bring her to a place that is more dog friendly. National Forests, for example, allow dogs. My dog goes crazy with joy in the snow.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:19 am

comicone999 wrote:First of all I am very offended at some of what has been said in this forum about bringing your dog to Yosemite and other national parks. I have a husky and we are actually at Yosemite right now. She is having an absolute blast hiking through the snow and really enjoyed seeing the coyote we came across yesterday. (We were in the car with the windows rolled up when the coyote came right to the window, I'm not stupid) I agree that if I owned a Chihuahua that dog probably wouldn't be a good fit up here, but I would think any working/sporting dog would be a good fit here. I would absolutely bring her again, I agree that when temperatures are over 100, probably not the best idea. I have been to Yosemite before and bringing my dog with me has made this trip a lot more enjoyable for me as well. I'm glad to have the opportunity to share this experience with my dog.

Don't take her on the trails. Dogs are illegal on hiking trails in national parks. I've seen people hiked back to the car by rangers for that, and fined.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:22 pm

AlmostThere wrote:
Don't take her on the trails. Dogs are illegal on hiking trails in national parks. I've seen people hiked back to the car by rangers for that, and fined.

I was almost forced off of the mist trail when I was backpacking because the German Shepard that some woman brought didn't like my backpack, it was on the stair section they are very narrow. A fall there most likely would have been fatal.

The few people I have enlightened about the policy just blew me off. Kind of like the girls who dump toilet paper on the trail...
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

more thought on dogs

Postby comicone999 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:42 pm

Ok, first of all my dog is very well behaved.. when we saw some deer she didn't bark, didn't try to charge at them, she was curious of course, but she did exactly what I wanted her to do, which was follow me closely as I got some great pictures. I absolutely understand that you have to keep your dog on the paved paths and have no problem with that, and of course we also abided by the 6 foot leash rule. Of course if you are going to take your dog anywhere you have to follow the rules, and I understand that, but when people post "don't bring your dog to Yosemite" and things of that nature it upsets me as my dog had the time of her life up there and I would absolutely bring her again. I'm not saying it's for every dog, or every owner, it could be dangerous if your dog has behavior problems or if you have trouble controlling your dog. My husky got lots of attention from the other visitors and even a couple of of rangers commented on her. My dog has also gotten lotos of obedience training and she is only 7 months old and I figure the earlier I introduce her to environments like Yosemite the better off she'll be down the line if and when we go back.
comicone999

Postby daddyray831 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:10 am

as a person who has owned may dogs.. i find it annoying moving outta the way for dogs, goin to a kid friendly area to see someone walking with pitbulls that they can barely contain. someone lettin their dog poop anywhere and holding a pair of gloves to clean it after as if its ok now. taking their dogs somewhere they dont belong.. like a trail. i was in bass lake this weekend and got quite a laff when i passed by the dog grooming facilities.. CMON people!!! dog grooming facilites at bass lake.... its already ridiculous and only getting worse.. pretty soon dogs will have more rights that humans.. im sure dog loving enthusiasts would love that. jus my opinion and im sharing it.. leave ur dogs at home.... their annoying and they get in the way.. find a friend.. a real human friend and spend time with them.. they will catch a frisbee and play ball with u if u want.
daddyray831
Regular
Regular

Postby daddyray831 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:12 am

and anyone saying that "my dog had the time of her/his life" is a complete whacko... ur dog cannot talk to u, therefore you cannot possibly know what he/she is feeling. it could have been constipated and you thought it was smiling.
daddyray831
Regular
Regular

Re: Please don't bring your dogs to Yosemite.

Postby yingster » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:50 am

Dogs are fine in Yosemite if you have common sense.
yingster
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Please don't bring your dogs to Yosemite.

Postby joyce19 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:29 am

Hello,

I understand a lot of the park is off limits to dogs, but I was wondering if anybody knows of trails that are open to dogs that would be good for a day hike? We are in Sacramento, so it's about 3.5 hours to Yosemite, coming in on 120 (Big Oak Flat entrance). There are some pet friendly places on 120, so I'm imagining driving to Yosemite in the morning, doing a hike, crashing at a nearby hotel and driving back the next day. Suggestions?
Last edited by joyce19 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joyce19

Next

Return to Visiting Yosemite