Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Best places for photos?

Information on Photography in Yosemite--tips, techniques, best camera gear, etc.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Best places for photos?

Postby JustMe87 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:51 pm

My mom and I are planning a day trip to Yosemite some time in the next month. I would like to get something other than the typical tourist shots and am looking to you guys for help. I don't mind hiking a bit, but don't want any trails that are too difficult. Basically, I'm looking for suggestions on pretty places in Yosemite for pictures other than Half Dome, El Capitan, the main falls, etc. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your time!!
JustMe87
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Best places for photos?

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:55 am

I don't think there is a bad place for photos.

If you want to get photos that are unique (not the same old shots on the posters and postcards everywhere in the gift stores) you'll have to go off trail. I liked Mt Watkins and Moraine Dome. Hiking to Taft Point, Dewey Point, Sentinel Dome will give you great vista views. Hiking out to North Dome is a great view of Half Dome's face. (Since I don't know what "too difficult" really means I guess I should tell you that only Sentinel/Taft is a "short" hike of about five miles, Dewey and North are longer.)

Look at yosemitehikes.com and look at a map. Go to stuff that is not listed on yosemitehikes for unique shots.

You won't be getting any waterfalls next month unless it rains a fair bit. Yosemite Falls is dry.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Best places for photos?

Postby hotrod4x5 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:50 pm

This is a good book to get you started. http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Gui ... 1998669-20

I have photographed extensively throughout the valley and to a lesser degree, the high country. Answering your question is difficult, because almost all of the great views in Yosemite are well photographed. That being said, I have a few tips.

At tunnel view, instead of the typical shot from the parking lot, head about 10 mins or so up the Inspiration Trail, which starts at the smaller parking lot across the street. Keep looking toward the valley, you will soon come to a spot where you can get a similar view as the parking lot, but without all the tourists. Once back in the parking lot, take a short stroll into the tunnel. In about 5 mins, you will come to a side tunnel. Carefully walk down and out until you get a different view than what most people see. Be careful, there is no railing here.

The Old Big Oak Flat Road where it comes down into the valley is a great trail for different, close up views of El Capitan and across the valley to Bridalveil Fall. http://www.everytrail.com/guide/old-big-oak-flat-road It isn't hard to find the entrance, if you follow the directions.

Those are a couple spots that come to mind, I don't have time to list everything, and frankly, I enjoy shooting the common locations, and trying to put my creative spin on them. Go to my facebook page to see some of my shots from Yosemite. https://www.facebook.com/RodneyNinowPhotography
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Photography