Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

First Time full week in yosimite

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

First Time full week in yosimite

Postby petebarich » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:39 pm

I have been afforded a free week next week jun the 23- 28th. and decided to take a backpacking trip to yosimite. im experienced in backpacking on the east coast and dont normally hike alone but dont know anyone out in the west to go with so am making this journey alone. If anyone is going to be out there next week and would enjoy some company id be grateful to join their group. if not, i was looking for advise on what to expect and trails to check out. i know i want to hike up the half dome one day but am leaving the rest of the week open for whatever. any advise would be greatly appreciated. also didnt know if i need to pack food for entire week or if i could pack a little lite and purchase some at a store in the park.
petebarich

Re: First Time full week in yosimite

Postby dan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:33 pm

The Mountaineering Shop in Yosemite Valley (Curry Village) and Tuolumne Meadows (behind the gas station) has limited amounts of freeze-dried food and lots of hardware and software for backpacking and climbing. You can't buy food on the trail (except candy bars at the High Sierra Camps).

Regular food is also available in the Grocery Store in Yosemite Village, the gift shops in Curry Village and Tuolumne Meadows.

As for going alone, there's a reasonable chance you'll meet people along the way. The best is to chat it up with others hiking alone or just a friend.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:50 pm

I would recommend the High Sierra Loop. You can do Half Dome, then start the loop at Toulumne. Pound for pound this is the best way to spend 5-6 days hiking and you will have company most of the time at the camp sites.
You just have to be a bit careful at Sunrise. Trails go everywhere and following the right one can be a bit confusing for some.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby petebarich » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:45 pm

appreciate it will check out high sierra and carry food
petebarich

leaving on mon.

Postby petebarich » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:41 pm

im leaving on monday and plan to obtain a first come first serve permit in touloume meadows. what time do the visitor centers open? do you have to have an exact route you plan on hiking? i hoped i could keep it open to wherever i felt like going when i wake up. but can make a plan if i have to.
petebarich

Postby dbiggs » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:20 pm

When you get the permit, you have to designate your trailhead of entry and exit, so that limits you somewhat. Lately though there hasn't been a problem getting a same day permit.
dbiggs

Postby ecables » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:52 pm

what time do the visitor centers open?

I'm also curious about this, as I'll be getting a 1st come permit, and don't want to risk getting there after they've been snatched up.
ecables

Postby bill-e-g » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:10 pm

2 weeks ago Tioga Rd was open at 8am. I was quite surprised.
I think they change to 7am if they haven't already.
(last weekend we didn't get to Wawona Permit Station until 10am so not sure...)
I'd get there by 7am if wanted to hike out of Tuolumne (Sunrise, Cathedral, Vogelsang, Lyell, etc...)
(Hetch Hetchy gate opens at 7am also so.. they should all open at that time)
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking