Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Reserving for 10

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Reserving for 10

Postby donnagail » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:12 pm

I am organizing a trip for 10 people to hike HD and do some backcountry backpacking July 2013 and we would like to stay in LYV the night before summitting HD. When the sign up for reservations comes up, can I reserve 2 sites or will I need someone else in my party to reserve the second site under their name? I think I read on a forum that sites (especially LYV) are already reserved within a few hours after sign up begins. I hope that's not the case. I understand the person (that be me) holding the permit has to have it with them to present if the case arrises, does that mean I have to actually be camping in the second site or just be available to present the permit for either site?
donnagail

Re: Reserving for 10

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:38 pm

I think you are misunderstanding the process. LYV is not a "campground" with reserveable spots.

What you need to do is to get a wilderness permit, for backpacking. You need to do this five months before the date you intend to start hiking. When you pick up the wilderness permit in person at the wilderness office, you will tell them that you want to summit Half Dome, and they will stamp the permit for that. If the permit says you can spend the first night in LYV, that's where you camp - walk in and select a site.

You can specify second and third choices on the wilderness permit application, too. So try to get permits for the passthrough toward Clouds Rest or Sunrise, and then camp not at LYV but farther up the trail toward Clouds Rest, then backtracking a little to do Half Dome. Or, get permits from Sunrise trailhead to the valley floor, take the hiker bus up there to start, hike to Clouds Rest, visit Half Dome, and stay in LYV on the second night on the way down.

Remember - if you camp anywhere other than LYV you need a bear canister. They'll rent them to you (or you won't get a wilderness permit).
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby donnagail » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:35 pm

Great information 'Almost There'. I plan to have us day hike the Clouds Rest loop after HD, so the thought of hiking up the trail a bit to pitch tents sounds much more attractive than the crowds at LYV. That puts us closer to both hikes. Thank you!
donnagail

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:26 pm

You'll have to be at least 2 miles beyond LYV to camp legally. Research water sources in the area - there are a couple of springs (which I have not really tried to find, since the times I have been there I carried enough water) and then there are nice campsites along the JMT near the Clouds Rest junction.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds