Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Wilderness permits in early may

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Wilderness permits in early may

Postby DB2882 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:39 pm

I am from the East Coast and I am trying to plan a trip along the JMT. I am planning on arriving in Yosemite around May 1st and I am hoping to do several shorter (1-3) day trips to test gear and get used to the higher altitude. How difficult is it to get wilderness permits at the beginning of May? Do I have to plan these trips out far in advance in order to secure a permit? Or this early in the season can I play it by ear?
DB2882

Re: Wilderness permits in early may

Postby dan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:37 pm

It is early in the season. No problem with permits. The problem i :D s snow. The Tioga. Road is usually closed until mid or late May. The trail is snow bound at higher elevations.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Wilderness permits in early may

Postby DB2882 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:36 am

Thanks for the response! Glad to hear about the permits. I am definitely aware (and hopefully prepared :D ) for the snow. Any recommendations for good 10-25 mile trips? This question could certainly be worthy of a whole separate topic, but I would be interested to hear any suggestions.
DB2882

Return to Visiting Yosemite