Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Current trail conditions to Clouds Rest from Happy Isles?

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Current trail conditions to Clouds Rest from Happy Isles?

Postby Leo » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:02 am

Has anyone recently hiked this route or heard of any reports of the trail conditions? For example, where does the snow level start and what is the condition of the snow/ice? And are there readily available water sources past Little Yosemite Valley? We're preparing to hike it this Friday and are deciding what gear to bring especially in terms of microspikes, crampons, and snowshoes. Thanks.
Leo

Re: Current trail conditions to Clouds Rest from Happy Isles

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:40 pm

Bring mictospikes. expect there to be plenty of ice and plenty of snow . Also expect to be finding the usual route gated . Going up to Vernal Falls on the Mist trail is closed . I would take plenty of water for the hike and stay well back from the rivers and streams because they will be running high and dangerous .
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby summitbaggers » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:45 pm

Will microspikes be enough or would crampons be necessary on some portions of the climb?
summitbaggers
First-timer
First-timer

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:09 pm

That's a good question... I don't think there are any dangerous slopes on the winter route that microspikes will not handle.

I think I would take snowshoes too for the just-to-be-safe factor. The powder gets deeper the higher you go. Probably won't need them (if you do) until climbing out of LYV.

Someone told me they used an ice axe on this route recently... I don't believe them, that doesn't sound right unless they got off the route in some wild way.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Leo » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:43 am

Thanks all for your recommendations. We completed our hike on Friday with clear skies and forecasted 2 mph wind. Microspikes were helpful through the winter route from Happy Isles and from LYV to the HD/JMT trail juntion. Although Microspikes worked well in LYV, snowshoes were more efficient here. Snowshoes were used from the HD/JMT trail junction to Clouds Rest.
Leo

Return to Winter in Yosemite