Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Mariposa Grove Road

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Mariposa Grove Road

Postby ryturriaga » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:07 pm

I know Mariposa Grove Road is closed but the park allows people to walk, snowshoe and ski to see the giant sequoias. Does anyone here know what to do for this visit. Planning to visit this Monday Jan. 28, 2013. Park Ranger emailed me and said its ok to walk. Anyone know how far the walk? Are the area safe for bears?
ryturriaga

Re: Mariposa Grove Road

Postby dan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:34 pm

Click on Mariposa Grove under "Winter Trails" for a PDF map:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/brochures.htm
(there's also a summer hiking map, but it doesn't show the closed road to the grove).

Basically you park near the Park's south entrance station, shown on the map, and walk on the road. It's about 4 miles 1 way. Figure it's an all day thing.

It's safe from bears. Meaning, they are there but it's unlikely you will see one or they will bother you.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ryturriaga » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:23 pm

Thank Dan. Will update this thread once we get there. Got the gears and supply Ready! Thanks Again
ryturriaga

Postby ryturriaga » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:06 pm

Just got back from probably one of my most awarding trips to Yosemite. Just as we got to the south entrance, around 8AM, park rangers open the Mariposa Grove road, although needing to put tire chains on, it saved us walking 2 miles up and 2 miles down. Best timing ever.
ryturriaga

Return to Visiting Yosemite