Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Sub Fit Hicking?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Sub Fit Hicking?

Postby rbdennis » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:15 am

We, me and my wife, will be vising in the latter part of September. This is going to be out first trip. We will be staying four nights/3 full days. I recently had knee surgery and am not in the best shape. We do some hiking but usually are a little under the hiking books rating, we normally feel they are a little higher than our fitness level.

We will be staying in El Portal. Any suggestions for some nice day hikes. We have been riding our bikes and do plan on being in better shape for our trip.

We are both so jazzed as this will be out 10th anniversary and our first visit to Yosemite (WHooo-HOOooo!)

Thank you!,
Dennis
rbdennis

Re: Sub Fit Hicking?

Postby dan » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:39 am

Here's a good list of hikes in the Valley. Also download and print out the two page map and leaflet (it's a PDF file):
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/valleyhikes.htm

Yosemite Valley is the best of the park, and is flat because it's a filled-in ancient lake bed. See the falls and hike along the base of the north and south rims (these are east-west running trails that are not crowded).

I also enjoy taking a raft trip down the Merced River. You rent a raft by the bike rental in Curry Village, put the raft in, flot down for a few hours, and they pick you up a few miles downstream. This is only available when the river is at the correct levels (not in flood stage and not too dry, usualy end of June, early July).
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

1st Yosemite visit

Postby adrianhoff » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:20 pm

Yosemite is a magical place. On my first visit, I weighed 150 pounds more than the recommended weight for my height. I smoked. Once acclimated, I still managed the trail to Mirror Lake (sometimes called mirror meadow in the hiking guides), the short version of the trail through the Mariposa Grove of giant Sequoias, and the first mile of the Mist trail (to the Vernal Falls bridge). The view from the bridge isn’t very impressive in late September. The view from Glacier point is — I think it’s about a mile (round trip) from the parking lot to the viewing area at the point. Try to be there at sunset.
adrianhoff
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby rbdennis » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:07 pm

xlnt, thanks guys! Renting a bike was a question I had. Sounds like they are available. I was debating whether we might need to bring ours or if riding a bike was even an option.

The Glacier point at sunset sounds AWESOME! Are we there yet :-)

Dennis
rbdennis

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking