Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Are opening dates for trails strict?

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Are opening dates for trails strict?

Postby davis224 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:27 pm

I'm visiting April 21-24, but just saw most trails are closed until May? Will they open as soon as conditions allow (which I'm sure by late April, if there is any snow left, it won't make trails impassable), or are they strict with the dates and the trails won't be open til the specified dates even if snow is gone? I was planning on hiking to upper yosemite falls, and four mile trail into Panorama trail. Will I be ok? Or should I cancel all my reservations?
davis224
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Are opening dates for trails strict?

Postby dan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:29 am

The trails are always open. The problem is if there's too much snow for you to handle.

It has nothing to do with rules, but everything to do with how high and frequent the mound s of snow are on the trail.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:57 am

4 Mile trail can be closed due to ice and snow in one spot, but everything else is open as dan pointed out
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby runningbear87 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:56 pm

The Mist Trail (after the Vernal Falls foot bridge) also closes due to ice, but by April it should definitely be open, as should 4 Mile.
runningbear87

Return to Visiting Yosemite