Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Thousand Island Lakes Itinerary

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in the Sierra Nevada and elsewhere outside Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Thousand Island Lakes Itinerary

Postby potatopants88 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:24 pm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could weigh in on this plan for 2 nights at the end of September.

Day 1: Agnew Meadows to Thousand Island Lake via High Trail/PCT (9.7 miles, 1714ft gain/280ft descent)
Day 2: Thousand Island Lake to Ediza Lake via JMT (7.4 miles, elevation change??)
Day 3: Ediza to Agnew Meadows via Shadow Creek/River Trail (7.4 miles, 260ft ascent, 1225 ft descent)

Questions:
1. End of September an okay time to go? Better than last week of July?
2. Distances, elevations look correct?
3. Is this too much for a first-time backpacker?
4. I'd get a permit for the High Trail, since that's where we'd start, right?

Thanks for your input.
potatopants88
Regular
Regular

Re: Thousand Island Lakes Itinerary

Postby SoCalCPA » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:55 am

I pretty much did the same hike a year ago September on the day I turned 50 years old - This was a starter hike for me after not backpacking since in my 20's.

1. I went mid to late September and it was fine - a little cold at night and experienced a shower in the afternoon at Thousand Island but no snow except on Banner and Ritter - I think this is a fine time to go but bring some extra warm clothing along just in case - September may be better than July since you will have less people after labor day - I hear it can be quite a zoo in the summer.

2. It seemed shorter to me from Agnew to the Lake - about 6 miles and 1300 overall gain - Out of shape I made it in 6 hours. - Day 2, you will have a slight elevation on your way to Garnet and then climbing out of Garnet you go up several hundred feet - then a big downhill until you hit the trail to Ediza - More than enough time.

3. Not at all - I think this is a great warm up trip with some of the most beautiful scenery in the Sierra - Take your time and enjoy yourself - Drink alot of water and try to get in shape as much as you can before you go - I do this by jogging and lifting weights.

4. Permit will be needed on the High Trail out of Agnew - The views on the high trail are pretty nice - I would do this over the river trail

Overall, this is a great starter hike - You will have a great time!! I would get a water purifier - if you like to fish, the outlet at Thousand Island was loaded with brookies (I used a Sierra Bright Dot and caught more fish than I could count C&R)Make sure your sleeping bag is warm and remember to drink alot of water - staying hydrated is huge.
SoCalCPA

Postby potatopants88 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:27 am

Thanks for the response, SoCal! That's just what I was hoping to hear. I'm really excited about this trip, and super eager to spend some time in the Eastern Sierras.
potatopants88
Regular
Regular

Postby potatopants88 » Fri May 24, 2013 1:18 pm

We have our permits for 9/20 for the High Trail!

My companion is willing but less than thrilled about pooping in the woods. I told him there were probably vault toilets at Thousand Island Lakes, but I'm thinking I lied.

Are there any vault toilets on this route, or only at the trailhead?
potatopants88
Regular
Regular

Postby SoCalCPA » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:58 am

No privy's at Thousand Island or anywhere in the backcountry here that I am aware of - Bring a shovel - and we are supposed to pack out used TP (Rangers will tell you this when you go in)
SoCalCPA

Postby Aliraza2 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:03 pm

There are currently fire restrictions in Sequoia National Forest which encompasses most of the southern Sierra.
Inyo does not have anything posted yet about restrictions. But calling before going is the best thing.
Aliraza2
First-timer
First-timer

Postby Dave_Ayers » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:30 pm

Inyo Nat. Forest Fire restrictions are indeed posted. See http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 805265.pdf .

Consider your ability to adapt to altitude! 1000 Island Lake is at 9,800 feet. Do you know if you can handle sleeping at that altitude, especially after a day's hike? You may want to consider staying at Mammoth Lakes (~8,000 feet) the night before your hike to jump-start adaptation. If you don't have any knowledge of altitude sickness, visit altitude.org or some other good information source and get acquainted with the symptoms and what to do if you experience them. And stay well hydrated the first couple of days!
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby najatuw4646 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:11 am

I hear it can be quite a zoo in the summer.
gclub royal
najatuw4646

Postby OMark » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:49 am

najatuw4646 wrote:I hear it can be quite a zoo in the summer.
gclub royal

When I was there 7 years ago it was not bad, any idea how much worse it can be now?
OMark

Return to Hiking & backpacking outside Yosemite National Park