Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

"First-Come" Sites on 120

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

"First-Come" Sites on 120

Postby neckcarpenter » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:49 pm

Heading over on Wed. June 20 and wondering about chances getting one of the first come/ first serve sites on Rt. 120. I'm talking about Tamarack, White Wolf, Yosemite Creek, Porcupine Creek, and if it comes to it, Tuolumne Meadows.

How about this little nugget, from the NPS site: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campground.htm#table

"Approximate opening dates listed below will be updated once we have more information."

We're pretty far into June. Can I assume they've got all the info they need at this point? If so, it's encouraging to see that they'll all be open.

Am I correct in assuming I've got a pretty good chance of getting a site at one of these in the middle of the week?

Since they're all a bit away from the Valley, is one remarkably better than the others? I guess the closer to the Valley the better, but if some are worth an extra half hour of driving, I'd like to hear which ones and why.

Tuolumne Meadows is going to be super cold over night, right? But the others, not so much?

Thanks. I mean it. I just asked a million questions.
neckcarpenter

Re: "First-Come" Sites on 120

Postby neckcarpenter » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:21 pm

I guess I'll go ahead and reply to my own post.

I camped on Wed June 20th and Thurs June 21st. Tamarack was full when we arrived at about 12:30pm Wednesday. White Wolf had at least ten open spots. We got a site right by the big rocks, I think Number 70. Recommended for sure. I can't speak for the fullness of the other sites along 120 because we did all of our traveling between White Wolf and points in the Valley.
neckcarpenter

Postby Goose » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:50 pm

Thanks for the update. I really liked White Wolf and camped there in mid-August, arriving on a Thursday.
Goose

Postby paula53 » Sun May 19, 2013 4:40 pm

Tuolumne Meadows Campground will not open this year until mid July, the 12th. All services will open on the 12th, because of the cutbacks. The store won't be open until the campground opens.
paula53
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds