Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

3 day backpacking August

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

3 day backpacking August

Postby opiejsimpson » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:33 am

I am going to be in the area the first part of August. I have been researching this forum and other resources for backpacking ideas, but still undecided. I will be with two friends and are looking to do a 3 day / 2 night backpacking trip. We want to have camp fires at night looking for a less crowded area. Looking for a loop trail or a trail where we can park and backpack and be transported back to the car on the last day. Was looking at Young Lakes, but no fires are allowed. Any help would be appreciated.
opiejsimpson

3 day backpacking ideas?

Postby opiejsimpson » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:34 am

I am going to be in the area the first part of August. I have been researching this forum and other resources for backpacking ideas, but still undecided. I will be with two friends and are looking to do a 3 day / 2 night backpacking trip. We want to have camp fires at night looking for a less crowded area. Looking for a loop trail or a trail where we can park and backpack and be transported back to the car on the last day. Was looking at Young Lakes, but no fires are allowed. Any help would be appreciated.
opiejsimpson

Re: 3 day backpacking August

Postby Grzldvt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:33 am

Keep in mind August is THE busiest month in the park, so less crowded is a relative term. Plus adding a camp site with a fire ring, adds to the puzzle. Polly Dome Lakes coming in off of Murphy Creek with a stop at Raisin Lake and out the back side of May Lake to the car fits the bill. The Ten lakes area is another area that sort of fits the bill
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: 3 day backpacking August

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:01 am

Pick a destination under 9,600 feet and you can build a fire in an established fire ring, so long as you find one at least 100 feet from the water.

The lower lakes in 10 Lakes Basin have good campsites and are below the limit - the upper lakes are just above 9600 feet and fires are illegal. 10 lakes gets a little crowded since it's 1 day's hike out. Which is the case most of the time at the height of summer in Yosemite. For true solitude, go more than a couple days out and to some of the less traveled areas of the park. Of course, that will take you far from the major sights people come to see, such as Half Dome, Clouds Rest, or the falls.

If you want fewer crowds, Hoover Wilderness or any of the national forest destinations... If you have never been to Yosemite and want to see it, be a tourist and plan the trip to the front country destinations, and enjoy the scenery. Don't sweat the crowds. Just take your time and walk a lot.

The only destinations you'll find "be transported back to the car" will be along 120 - the hiker bus and YARTS run out over the pass, and there is a free shuttle that runs between the Tioga gate and Olmsted Point. There are no free shuttles between the valley and trailheads on the pass. If you could manage to end your trip at Glacier Point before 3, you might be able to pay for and ride on the tour bus one way to the valley floor.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking