Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Extended Car Parking - Backpacking for a week

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Extended Car Parking - Backpacking for a week

Postby kleyton » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:14 pm

I will be flying into San Fransisco and I've worked out the logistics from other posts on here to use Public Transportation. The earliest flight lands at 12:45pm (from Chicago using my Preferred airline). By the time I take the BART over to Richmond station, the next Amtrak heading to Merced won't depart at 6pm. That puts me in Merced at close to 9pm. There are no YART buses heading into Yosemite that late so now I need to find lodging in Merced and I've lost a day.

Okay, so forget the public transportation for this trip. I will just rent and economy car and drive from the Airport. Where can I park this car in Yosemite park for 5 days or so? I would prefer to park in the Valley or at Tuolumne - just park the car, throw on my bag, and disappear into the woods for 5-6 days. I will be doing this probably the last week of September. I'm open to other parking options as well, but I would prefer to park near a trailhead.

Thank you
kleyton
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Extended Car Parking - Backpacking for a week

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:33 pm

Leaving a car overnight in Yosemite:

Make sure car is clean of food spills. Park in trailhead parking (rangers will tell you where to go park for the duration, there is plenty of trailhead parking around.) Remove all food, hygiene items, cans, bottles, bags, etc that have ever contained food or any other substance with a smell, place in bear lockers at the trailhead. Remove all trash and place in bearproof trash containers. Cover any boxes, tote bags, empty ice chests, etc with a blanket. Lock car. Go backpacking.

Don't forget your park approved bear canister, or your wilderness permit.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite