Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Rafting

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Rafting

Postby MarkA » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:20 pm

We are thinking of rafting in the park. Any Suggestions? We will be there in Aug.

Mark A
MarkA

Re: Rafting

Postby dan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:52 pm

You can raft on the Merced River. You can rent a raft (including pickup downstream) or bring your own:
Rentals:
http://www.yosemitepark.com/rafting.aspx

August is too late though--the river level is too low.

There may be rafting available outside the park, downstream on the Merced River or Tuolumne. I never did this though, so I can't help there.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby MarkA » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:17 am

Thanks,

How long of a trip is it? I live in MI and we raft, kayak, and tube the river near me for several hours.

Mark A
MarkA

Postby dan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:36 am

Rafting down the Merced River in Yosemite Valley takes as long as you want it to take. The idea here is not speed, but to enjoy the scenery. When I go down the Merced River in Yosemite Valley, I take about 2-3 hours, including a long lunch stop. You can do it under an hour if you don't stop.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby MarkA » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:42 pm

Thanks, That's how I like to go. We just flow and see everything. I just bought a waterproof camera, and plan on taking a lot of pix.

Mark A
MarkA

Postby dan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:06 pm

It's very enjoyable and a different way to view the Valley. You may want to call before you go and check if the rafting rental is open, and it's unlikely to still be open in August--especially in this drier-than-normal year. Call the "bike shop" in Curry Village. They handle the rafting rentals.

If you bring your own raft, you still want to check. As if it's closed for rentals, it's closed for everyone else too.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite