Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Mosquitos

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Mosquitos

Postby jms703 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 am

Most of you know this, but I did not. There are a LOT of mosquitoes in Yosemite right now. I brought "natural" bug repellents and received 240 bites to my body. Bring both DEET based and PICARIDIN based repellents. I borrowed some DEET and it worked great...but it was already too late.

I encountered mosquitoes all day long. Every time we stopped walking, we were harassed, with the exception of when we were exposed to the wind.

There are a LOT of mosquitoes. Bring lots of repellent!

PS. The ineffective repellent I used was "All Terrain Herbal Armor Spray Insect Repellent". The repellent contained: Citronella Oil (10%), Soybean Oil (5.6%), Peppermint Oil (2.0%), Cedar Oil (1.5%), Lemongrass Oil (1.0%), Geranium Oil (0.05%). Those oils caused me to get a sunburn.

Link to REI product # 751171
jms703
Regular
Regular

Postby ecables » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:20 pm

Holy crap, 240 bites??? That would probably ruin anyone's trip. I've always used OFF! w/ a decent % of DEET, and I've always been fine. In addition to that, wearing pants and long sleeve shirts help to reduce the potential areas for bites.
ecables

Postby john » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:49 pm

Deet is king! I was just in for 4 days and about 8 sprays of 98% deet was all it took to keep those nasties off me the whole trip!
john
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby JayJay » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:52 pm

DEET is the way to go....I brought 100% DEET and it worked like a charm to keep the mosquitos away.
JayJay

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking