Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Sequoia National Park in May

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Sequoia National Park in May

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:24 pm

Author: Robs (---.tritech.org)
Date: 02-01-06 10:05

Please forigive the outside question, i know this is Yosemite forum, but i found no other forum for Sequoia. Anyways, ive been going camping to Sequoia national park for a number of years now, but never outside of August or September. How different is it in May? The reason being that i want to try out an earlier time to see more wildlife, bears in particular. It seems that by August or September, there are many people around and bears visit them and not me, lol. Another question would be when is the best month to watch bears, wildlife, i am getting bored of deer frankly.

Re: Sequoia NP in May
Author: Dan Anderson (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: 02-01-06 11:41

You can camp at Lodgepole in early or mid-may without reservations, but there is often still snow on the ground--it depends on the season.

Personally, I'd rather not see a bear. You can try walking on the trails around Lodgepole, especially around dusk (as they are nocturnal).

There's not a lot of wildlife in Sequoia. The park is so overgrown with trees, especially White Fir, that all wildlife is smotherred out. They need grassy meadows to feed on, not dead tree branches.

For wildlife, try some other, more-distant parks, such as Glacier in Montana, Yellowstone, and Rocky Mountain National Park. Also the Black Hills in South Dakota.

Re: Sequoia NP in May
Author: Robs (---.tritech.org)
Date: 02-01-06 12:41

hey Dan, thanks. I am a bit dissapointed to hear that there is little wildlife there. I will look into the other areas you've mentioned, but this year it will be SNP, at least to say my goodbyes, haha. Snow is another thing i hadnt considered. Looks like i will have to do my homework, even more so than before. Thanks for the info.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Winter in Yosemite