Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Petition To Change Back To Pre-Covid Walk-in Permit System

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in the Sierra Nevada and elsewhere outside Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: Petition To Change Back To Pre-Covid Walk-in Permit Syst

Postby balzaccom » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:53 pm

I understand there are different kinds of rangers. My dad was a naturalist. One of my best friends just changed positions, from being a wilderness ranger to a desk job. He's not happy about the change in his lifestyle, but he likes the longer potential career path available to him now. And he's of an age where that matters.

It sounds to me like your real beef is not with REI, or volunteers, or the Yosemite Conservancy or me. It sounds to me like your beef is with the fact that the National Park Service has been chronically underfunded for years now--and that has made it lean on all sorts of different ways to make up for that fact they they don't have enough money to pay professionals to do all the work that needs to be done.

And you won't get any argument from me about that.

The solution is more funding, clearly. And the good news is that the Biden infrastructure plan he just introduced includes a nice chunk of change for the parks.

let's hope it gets passed.
Check out our website and blog at: https://www.backpackthesierra.com/home
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby snowcreek » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:58 pm

I consider the NPS to be a criminal organization. The amount of nepotism, cronyism, and downright corruption is why it is ranked near the bottem in terms of workplace satisfaction for federal jobs. The NPS gets pleny of funding- but a majority of it is wasted in a variety of ways. I wont get into the politics side of the debate on funding but I will say that if they are not opened back up with the old system of entry their will be not Parks system in a few years. the NPS is reliant on massive visitation and the empty parks are bankrupting the NPS. Actually I will say something about the politics- stop adding more "monuments' to the parks when the parks were not getting any additional funding. And they can stop the gender bending, diversity nonsense as well. That all wastes a ton of money.
And I hate to be a stickler- but a naturalist is not a "ranger". Its not an insult- a naturalist is a higher vocation than any ranger job.
I was not a ranger either- I was a trail worker.
snowcreek

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:03 am

Dude, this thread was about the NATIONAL FOREST permitting. The petition is addressed to Randy Moore who is a NATIONAL FOREST admin, has nothing to do with NPS.

And the petition is beside the point anyway - Sierra National Forest was planning to put reservations online well before the pandemic. After the pandemic, walk ins will likely be as they were already in Inyo - fully walk in, not online. The reservations will stay online. And that's fine. It worked great for Inyo for years. Yosemite will probably end up on recreation.gov as well, and walk ins will probably go back to in person as well.

All the reservation systems have been changing and evolving, because they're trying to be responsive to public health issues. The entry reservation system for Yosemite has changed yet again. It's the way it's going to be until public health agencies give the green light to stop. That's how bureaucracy adapts. Not sure why anyone expects otherwise.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby snowcreek » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:14 pm

You should not need a computer to get into a National park, or National forest or any public lands for that matter. If its not open to everyone- including those without computers- then these lands should not be open to anyone.
I put a ridiculous amount of effort in making the parks a better place for all people- regardless.
Any restrictions to entry is going against the spirit of our pubic lands.
snowcreek

Previous

Return to Hiking & backpacking outside Yosemite National Park