Yosemite > Library >
Author Index >
Yosemite Online Library
Statement of Purpose:
To preserve and make accessible, online, books and other writings about Yosemite National Park.
Yosemite books and photographs by the following people
are available online, with the complete text
and original illustrations.
This list is arranged by author.
Also available by
Search Yosemite books on http://www.yosemite.ca.us/
- Thomas A. Ayres (Thomas Almond), artist (1816 - 1858)
- William G. Amborn (1941 - )
- Warren Baer, newspaper editor
- S. A. Barrett (Samuel Alfred Barrett), ethnologist (1879-1965)
- Craig D. Bates (Craig Dana), NPS Ethnographer (1952-)
- Jill L. Cossley-Batt, writer (1891-1969)
- The Last of the California Rangers
Biography of William Howard, including information on the California State Rangers, Mariposa Battalion, discovery of Yosemite, and Joaquin Murieta.
- M. E. Beatty (Matthew Edward “Ed” Beatty), NPS Ranger Naturalist (1909 - 1989)
- Madison S. Beeler (Madison Scott Beeler), linguist (1910-1989)
- John W. Bingaman, Yosemite Park Ranger (1896-1987)
- William H. Brewer, botanist (1828-1910)
- Sylvia M. Broadbent (Sylvia Marguerite Broadbent)
anthropologist (1932 - 2015)
L. S. Freeland (Lucy Shepard Freeland)
- C. Frank Brockman (Christian Frank), park naturalist (1902 - 1985),
Lloyd W. Brubaker, Ranger Naturalist (1926 - 2000)
- Rev. J. M. Buckley, D. D. (James Monroe Buckley) minister (1836-1920)
- Lafayette Houghton Bunnell, miner (1824-1903)
- Newell D. Chamberlain (Newell Day), camp owner (1880-1961)
- J. Smeaton Chase (Joseph Smeaton), writer (1864-1923),
- Caroline M. Nichols Churchill, writer (1833-1926)
- Galen Clark, pioneer and Guardian of Yosemite (1814-1910)
- James E. Cole (James Ellsworth), NPS biologist (1902-1981)
- Edward S. Curtis, photographer (1868-1952)
Mark Roy Daniels, General Superintendent of National Parks
Richard P. Ditton, Yosemite Park and Curry Company employee (b. before 1942)
Laurence V. Degnan, Yosemite pioneer (1884-1963)
- Willis A. Evans, NPS Naturalist (1918-2003)
- Francis P. Farquhar, mountaineer (1887-1974)
- George Fiske, photographer (1835-1918)
- L. S. Freeland See Sylvia M. Broadbent
Edward Winslow Gifford, ethnologist (1887-1959)
- Elizabeth H. Godfrey (Elizabath H. Godfrey Baker), secretary (b. before 1941 - d. after 1951).
- Lady Constance Frederica Gordon-Cumming, travel writer (1837-1924),
Later editions were Granite Crags of California
- Horace Greeley, newspaper editor (1811-1872)
- Linda Wedel Greene, NPS Resources Manager (1947-)
- Joseph Grinnell, Field Biologist (1877-1939)
- Ansel F. Hall, NPS Ranger Naturalist (1894-1962)
- Sarah Haight (Mrs. Edward Tompkins, Sarah H. Tompkins), early Yosemite Valley visitor
(1835 - after 1881)
- Laura E. (Soullière) Harrison, NPS Historian (1950-)
Richard J. Hartesveldt, professor (1921 - 1975)
Harold F. Heady, professor (1916 - 2011)
Weldon Fairbanks Heald, architect (1907 - 1967)
“Abrams Diary” (1947).
Describes William Abrams’
discovery of Yosemite Valley in October 1849
- Robert F. “Bob” Heizer, anthropologist (1915 - 1979)
John S. Hittell (John Shertzer Hittell), writer (1825 - 1901)
Charles F. Hoffmann (Charles Frederick Hoffmann),
- Sarah Winnemucca Hopkins (Thocmentony “Shell Flower”),
translator, speaker (ca. 1844 - 1887)
- Life Among the Piutes
Written by a Northern Paiute princess about her people, who lived east of the Sierra Nevada.
Douglass H. Hubbard (Douglass Hopwood Hubbard), Park Naturalist (1918 - 2011)
Dr. N. King Huber (Norman King Huber), geologist (1926-2007)
Ellsworth Huntington, Professor of Economics, Yale University (1876 - 1947)
- James Mason Hutchings, Yosemite pioneer (1824 or 1820-1902)
- “California for Waterfalls!,”
San Francisco Daily California Chronicle (August 18, 1855)
Contains an account of the second tourist party to Yosemite Valley
The original, unabridged version was published in the
August 9, 1855)
- Hutchings’ Illustrated California Magazine [PDF] (1856-1961). California topics, including Yosemite Valley and the Sierra Nevada
- “The Yo-ham-i-te Valley, and its Water-falls,” Hutchings’ California Magazine 1(1):2-7 (July 1856)
- “The Great Yo-Semite Valley,”Hutchings’ California Magazine, (October 1859).
First account of Yosemite Valley with illustrations
Scenes of Wonder and Curiosity in California (1862).
First travel guide for Yosemite Valley.
Heart of the Sierras;
Yo Semite Valley,
both historical and descriptive:
and Scenes by the Way.
Big Tree Groves.
The High Sierra, . . .
- Hans Huth, art curator (1892 - 1977)
- Helen Hunt Jackson, writer (1830-1885)
Richard R. Jackson, Ranger Naturalist
- George Wharton James, writer (1858-1923)
- Shelton Johnson, Ranger Naturalist (ca. 1959 -)
- Charles E. Kelsey, attorney (before 1884 - after 1925)
- Clarence King, geologist (1842-1901)
- Thomas Starr King, minister (1824-1864)
- Samuel Kneeland, zoologist (1821-1888)
- A. L. Kroeber (Alfred Louis Kroeber), ethnologist (1876-1960)
- Ralph S. Kuykendall (Ralph Simpson Kuykendall), historian (1885-1963)
- James Henry Lawrence, lawyer and newspaper editor (circa 1831 - 1901)
- Joseph LeConte, geologist, conservationist
- John Erastus Lester, attorney (1840–1900)
- Olive Logan, actress and writer
Donald E. McHenry, park naturalist (1895-1969)
George G. MacKenzie (George Gordon MacKenzie, pseudonym “Lewis Stornoway”), newspaper reporter (1849-1922)
- François E. Matthes (François Emile), geologist (1874-1948)
- James W. McFarland, Ranger-Naturalist (1917-2006)
- C. Hart Merriam (Clinton Hart Merriam, M.D.), biologist (1855-1942)
- Enid Michael (Enid Reeves Michael Benson), first female Ranger-Naturalist in Yosemite (1883-1966)
- Lt. Tredwell Moore, U.S. Army officer (1825-1876)
- Dana Clark Morgenson, photographer (1906-1980)
- John Muir, conservationist, botanist, and geologist
- Books online, by date of first publication:
New York Tribune, 1871.
“Yosemite in Winter,”
New York Tribune, 1872.
“Yosemite in Spring,”
New York Tribune, 1872.
Studies in the Sierra
1874-1875; 1915-1921; 1950.
“The Treasures of the Yosemite,”
The Century Magazine, 1890
“Features of the Proposed Yosemite National Park,”
The Century Magazine, 1890
The Mountains of California (1894).
Our National Parks
My First Summer in the Sierra (1911).
The Yosemite (1912)
Letters to a Friend (1915)
- Steep Trails (1919)
The Life and Letters of John Muir (1923)
Eadweard Muybridge, photographer (1830 -1904)
- Frederick Law Olmsted, landscape architect
- Irene Dakin Paden, historian (1893 - 1967)
- Stanley E. Plumb, YP&CC advertising director (1896-1974)
- Harry C. Parker, park naturalist (1906-1961)
- Stephen Powers, newspaper reporter and writer (1840-1904)
- Hetch Hetchy Happenings
- Robert Joseph Rodin, botanist (1922-1978)
- Alfred Runte, historian (1947 -)
- Carl Parcher Russell, Chief Naturalist, NPS (1894-1967)
- Shirley Sargent, historian (1927 - 2004)
- Margaret Elizabeth Schlichtmann, historian (1898 - 1989)
- Allan Shields (Allan Edwin), Professor and Seasonal Ranger-Naturalist (1919 - 2017)
- James B. Snyder, historian (1944 -)
- Cyril A. Stebbins (Cyril Adelbert), instructor (1878-1953)
Robert C. (Robert Cyril) “Bob” Stebbins, professor (1915-2000)
- Tracy Irwin Storer, Zoologist (1889-1973)
- Lewis Stornoway (pseudonym). See George G. MacKenzie
- Mrs. Henry James Taylor
(Rose (Schuster) Taylor), librarian (1863 - 1951)
- The Last Survivor.
Biographical sketch of Maria Lebrado Ydrte “To-tu-ya”
granddaughter of Tenaya, chief of the Yosemite Indians.
- Yosemite Indians and Other Sketches
Biographical sketches of early pioneers and artists, and Yosemite Indians.
- Katherine Ames Taylor, writer (1895-1979)
Bradford Torrey, writer and editor (1843-1912)
- Mary Curry Tresidder, innkeeper (1893-1970)
- Keith A. Trexler, Ranger Naturalist (1931-1975)
- Robert F. Uhte, Park Ranger and Architect (1923 - 2012)
- Alice Ives Van Schaack, visitor (1844 - ca. 1912)
- Dr. Hervey Harper Voge, Climber and Chemist (1910-1990)
- Jan W. van Wagtendonk, USGS Research Forester (1941-)
- Myrl V. Walker (M. V. Walker), Park Naturalist & Paleontologist (1903-1985)
- Orthello L. Wallis, NPS Naturalist (1921-)
- Samuel Ward, D.C. lobbyist (1814-1884)
- Carleton E. Watkins (Carleton Emmons Watkins), landscape photographer
- Gerald F. Wieczorek, geologist (1953-)
- Josiah Dwight Whitney, Jr., geologist (1819 -1896)
- John Harvey Williams, writer (1864-?)
Yosemite and its High Sierra
Early Yosemite guidebook with several photographs (some by Francis Farquhar) and
color paintings by Chris Jorgensen.
Scanned from a copy in Yosemite Research Library.
- Sarah Winnemucca See Sarah Winnemucca Hopkins
- Thérèse Yelverton (Viscountess Avonmore),
travel writer (ca. 1832-36 - 1881),
- Yosemite Natural History Association
- Yosemite Association
(El Portal: Yosemite Association, 1986-2010). Quarterly journal
- Yosemite Conservancy
- Yosemite Fund
(San Francisco: Yosemite Fund, 1990-2010). Quarterly journal. 2008-2010 online.
- Yosemite Park and Curry Company
- Yosemite Sentinel
Newsletter of the park concessionaire, Yosemite Park and Curry Company
Paul J. Zinke, professor (1920-2006)
- “The Yo Semity Valley,”
Mariposa Gazette October 11, 1855
Stockton San Joaquin Republican October 16, 1855.
Contains an account of an early tourist party to Yosemite Valley
“The Yo-hem-i-ty Valley and Falls,”
The Country Gentleman,, October 8, 1856.
First article published on the east coast on Yosemite.
Author was the editor of the California Christian Advocate
- “The Yohamite Falls, California,” Ballou’s Pictorial Drawing-room Companion (May 21, 1859).
Author may be Rev. F. C. Ewer.
- The Yosemite Valley, and the Mammoth Trees and Geysers of California
(Nelons’ Pictorial Guide-books) (ca. 1870)
Author may be W. Nelson.
Yosemite Indian Petition to the United States
“Yosemite Indians are Outlaw Piutes”
(1956). Author may be the editor, Herb S. Hamlin
Arranged by date from earliest to present-day.
Selected Yosemite History Websites
Copyright © 1997-2013 Dan Anderson. All rights reserved.
Yosemite Online™ and Yosemite Online Library™ are trademarks of Dan Anderson.
This website is not affiliated with or supported by the National Park Service or any organization.
23 May 2020.
If you have questions or comments,
please send a message to