Home A - Z FAQ Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps About Search

Next: Ceremonial RoundhouseContentsPrevious: Pounding Rock

Ahwahnee Village


Chief’s House
hayaapoᵡ 'uuchu (hayaapong 'uuchu) (Southern Miwok)
haja.puH koca (Central Miwok)

Chief's House
[click to enlarge]

Chief’s House
Miwok leaders had large homes than others in the village, for they often hosted dinners and events for large groups of people. By the turn of the century many Miwok people built structures like this one: they were based on Miwok homes, but built using Euro-American technology.

One, built in the 1920s near today’s Yosemite Medical Clinic, belonged to Mary Wilson, a Miwok leader. It was probably destroyed after Wilson’s death in 1930. After the Yosemite Indian Village was moved in the 1930s, Wilson’s daughter, Phoebe Hogan, had a similar structure built near her home, just west of Sunnyside Campground. It was razed in the 1960s when the last Indian village was removed from Yosemite Valley.



Next: Ceremonial RoundhouseContentsPrevious: Pounding Rock

Home A - Z FAQ Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps About Search

http://www.yosemite.ca.us/ahwahnee_village/chiefs_house.html