Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search

Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne backpack

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne backpack

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:00 am

Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne
Author: Errol Lloyd (---.san.rr.com)
Date: 04-28-01 15:53

We are considering taking two days to go from Pate Valley
to Glen Aulin. Anyone have any experience with this hike,
and any thoughts?

Particular question: are there good camping sites roughly
half way from Pate Valley to Glen Aulin? We need a large
area since we are a group of 12.

Thanks.

Re: Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne
Author: Rob Wurgler (66.122.21.---)
Date: 09-10-01 13:05

I'd recommend giving yourself 3 days to do that route, it's all uphill from Pate Valley. Or try doing it from the other direction. Even so, it would be a LONG 2 days.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby JeffK » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:55 pm

Ancient thread, but I was just out there, so for the possible benefit of someone else: Even going downhill, it's a grueling 2-day hike from Glen Aulin to Pate Valley over many stone-step trails, so coming up you'll be pretty beat. Going down to Pate Valley is most of a day down some serious switchbacks, so figure 3 days minimum to go from White Wolf to Glen Aulin or Tuolumne Meadows. There's a really nice camp site right by the Return Creek bridge, it's technically illegal but impacted already - there are more good spots up the hill a bit from the main site. This site is huge, we were very comfy with 9 people. There's another good (technically illegal but impacted) site farther up just above Waterwheel Falls. I didn't see much else along the way, there are plenty of sites in Pate Valley but not much between there and Return Creek.
JeffK

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking