Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

TM to Vogelsang trail conditions?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

TM to Vogelsang trail conditions?

Postby Jrc92056 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:31 pm

I have a permit for Julyv17th, plan was for spending the night of the 16th in the TM backpackers camp then, Rafferty Creek to Vogelsang, Merced Lake, Clouds Rest, exiting in the valley. Any condition reports? Just wondering about snow conditions or potentially unpassable water crossings.

Taking my wife so "adventure" is OK, but if it's an "ADVENTURE!!!!!" I may be sleeping on the couch for a while. :D
Jrc92056

Re: TM to Vogelsang trail conditions?

Postby kcoop » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:06 am

I did almost this exact same trip last year in late July and because of a late season snowfall and melt, the mosquitoes up high were epic. The worst I've experienced any where. This year, (depart on July 17) I'm doing virtually the same trip, but hoping they won't be as bad since there will still be a lot of snow on the high passes. As far as trail condition info, keep checking all the blogs/trip reports. I spoke to a ranger yesterday (7/7) at the wilderness center (the 'Questions/Cancellations' # on your Permit Reservation Confirmation letter) and was told the trail is clear of snow for the first 4+ miles, which should be about 9,200 ft or so. He went onto say that a few people were getting through (over either Tuolumne or Vogelsang Passes) that there's still a lot of snow up there and there will still probably be quite a bit a week from now. That said, you might want to be bringing micro spikes and trekking poles to be safe. It sounds like we're departing the same day you are so maybe we'll see you up there. Good luck, and like another responder wrote, just in case, be prepared for the mosquitoes. VERY prepared.
kcoop
First-timer
First-timer

Postby gdrake » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:30 am

Hey-we're headed there too-
rafferty creek trail up to Volgelang pass and then down and out to the valley by way of the merced river.
This sounds doable, right?

http://www.yosemite.ca.us/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=7&t=1798&sid=4500338e7f3687edd079c25272b5b3d1#
gdrake
First-timer
First-timer

Postby balzaccom » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:33 am

Doable by whom?

There will be a lot of snow above 9500 feet. If you are comfortable walking on that...on steep inclines...and can find your way when the trail is completely under snow, then you should be fine. If not...this is no doable.

And where there is no snow, there will be mosquitoes, worse than you have ever seen. At least, that's the reports I have seen this year. It takes about three days for the snow to melt and then the skeeters come out.

On our last trip,. we intentionally headed up into the snow so we could avoid the bugs!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Jrc92056 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:22 pm

Well we did the trip. It was a bit challenging but not crazy. There was snow, but it was only bad from Tuolumne Pass to Vogelsang HSC, there were sketchey sections travesing some steep slopes in the morning, but the 4 of us never had as much as a nervous moment. We did skip Vogelsang pass as that looked out of our league due to heavy snow coverage, and the Booth Lake trail was buried as well, although the first night we did camp near Booth Lake. Fletcher Creek was a great trip. Only had to wade the creek 1 time, everything elae was rock hop ready. Mosquitoes were out in force, but no better or worse than I usually find in the Eastern Sierra, bring DEET. My wife did wear her head net the first night. All in all a stunning trip.
Jrc92056

Postby frankutchen » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:49 pm

Does anyone know if the backpackers' campground in Tuolumne Meadows is open?
frankutchen

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:17 pm

frankutchen wrote:Does anyone know if the backpackers' campground in Tuolumne Meadows is open?

If the campground is closed, it is also. It opens with the campground.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:40 pm

AlmostThere wrote:frankutchen wrote:
Does anyone know if the backpackers' campground in Tuolumne Meadows is open?

If the campground is closed, it is also. It opens with the campground.

And that tentative opening date is August 1st, as of now.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking