Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Four Mile Trail/Little Yosemite V/Clouds Rest/Happy Isles

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Four Mile Trail/Little Yosemite V/Clouds Rest/Happy Isles

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:12 am

FMT-LYV-Clouds Rest- Happy Isles
Author: Ken Paquia (63.87.39.---)
Date: 05-12-05 12:32

I was wondering if this itenerary makes sense.

Start hike at Yosemite Valley Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point
From Glacier Point to Illilouete Falls, Nevada Falls, JMT then Rest at Little Yosemite Valley.
From LYV the next day go to Clouds Rest
Third Day go down the MIST trail to Happy Isles.

Thanks for any advice.

Re: FMT-LYV-Clouds Rest- Happy Isles
Author: Dan Anderson (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: 05-12-05 23:08

You can't camp at Glacier Point (even if backpacking), or anywhere along the South Rim of Yosemite Valley. You can only camp away from the road, including Glacier Point road. I don't remember how far, but it's at least a mile or two. You can start out taking a morning bus from the Valley to Glacier Point and start there. Or you can walk up the Four Mile Trail, as you propose. But you have to continue on to Illilouette Creek and camp somewhere there. At least you can buy a meal at Glacier Point and not have to carry it.

The rest of the trip sounds very doable. Clouds Rest and back is a long day, but you have a head start from LYV. Take plenty of water after the last stream crossing (shown at a trail junction on the map).

Check with http://www.nps.gov/yose/wilderness/ for the latest rules.
http://www.nps.gov/yose/wilderness/

Author: Ken Paquia (63.87.39.---)
Date: 05-13-05 09:52

Thanks Dan. We will probably take the FMT , through Illiloute and rest at LYV the first day. Do the hike to Cloudsrest the next day. Do you know if the FMT trail will be open at the end of May?

Author: Dan Anderson (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: 05-13-05 10:42

Only the bottom half of the Four-Mile Trail is open. End of May is not that far away, but I don't know for sure.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Little YV / Echo / Merced Lake / Cloud's Rest / Half Dome

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:20 am

conditions LYV / Echo / Merced Lake / Cloud's Rest / Half Dome
Author: Derick (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: 06-11-05 12:20

Hi
I'm planning a 3 night backpack around June 20 - 25 -- am interested in trail conditions for LYV / Echo / Merced Lake / Cloud's Rest / Half Dome -- how much snow should I expect? Any spots where snowshoes / crampons still necessary? difficult crossings / bridges intact?
thanks
Derick

Re: conditions LYV / Echo / Merced Lake / Cloud's Rest / Half Dome
Author: yosemitegirl (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: 07-13-05 18:46

I am sure you have already taken your trip by now... let us know how it was. I just went Half Dome last week and there was absolutely no snow at all. :) It was absolutely gorgeous. No controlled burns either. :)

Re: conditions LYV / Echo / Merced Lake / Cloud's Rest / Half Dome
Author: Derick (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: 08-30-05 08:23

Yes, the trip was outstanding. But we didn't do that route at all. Permits for that trailhead sell out by 8:45 AM the day before. So we did a different hike on the North Rim, up Yosemite Falls, day hike to El Cap, across to North Dome, down & out by Mirror Lake.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking