Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

suggestions for early may?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

suggestions for early may?

Postby J » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:24 pm

A friend and I wanted to do a 3-4 day backpacking trip in Yosemite the 2nd or 3rd weekend in May, neither of us have been there before. Do you have any trail suggestions for a nature getaway to experience Yosemite's beauty, without worrying about snow or lots of people on the trail? I wasn't sure if Yosemite valley would have lots of backpackers around, or if there was a beautiful trail from Hetch Hetchy you could recommend.
Thanks for any info!
J
J
First-timer
First-timer

Postby dan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:46 pm

A good beginner backpack is to Little Yosemite Valley. The campground is only 6100'. It shouldn't be crowded before Memorial Day end of May. You can go beyond that point until you hit too much snow.

You can also hike up the Yosemite Falls Trail, but it's strenuous trail up especially with backpacks. And you'll probably hit snow soon after you top the rim.

Finally, see the thread "Late Spring Hetch Hetchy Backpack"
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=242
Basically, you start out fine, but you'll hit snow above 7000' or so.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking