Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Grand Canyon of the Tuolomne

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Grand Canyon of the Tuolomne

Postby CarolE » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:27 am

Ok, I know it’s hard to predict snowpack this early but how early is it usually somewhat safe on counting on being able to hike the GC of the Tuolomne? I do like it when there’s snow up high and I like going through some snow but I’m assuming snow in the canyon isn’t a safe thing? I also don’t like the heat so am trying to find a balance between going too early and having too much water for crossings vs. too hot.

Is mid-June usually doable and will the water crossings be relatively safe for a Solo hiker or is this just not a good hike for that? or is mid-June generally really hot in there?

Thanks for any info and if the advice is “depends” then I’ll look at getting a permit and then see what happens.

Carol
CarolE
Regular
Regular

Re: Grand Canyon of the Tuolomne

Postby balzaccom » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:22 pm

The big question will be when the Tioga Road opens. Until it opens you won't really be able to get to White Wolf...or the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne. Problem solved. The road usually opens in June, but has been known to open in May and sometimes as late as mid-July.
Check out our website and blog at: https://www.backpackthesierra.com/home
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking