Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search

Renting Bear Canisters

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: Renting Bear Canisters

Postby Hediuiea » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:14 am

I apologize for bumping this old thread but a few months ago, we rented containers, and due to our inexperience, we took hideous containers. After the hike, I found out that the hike would work well the ULA Catalyst. It will hold more than you want to carry. It collapses down to hold whatever load you need to carry. Very well made. Very good load transfer to the hips. Relatively inexpensive. Made in the USA.
Hint: One outside pocket holds an MSR HUBBA HUBBA NX 2 person tent. The other side pocket holds a full Nalgene 3 quart soft canteen and an MSR Waterworks filter. Both pockets weren’t full. A bear can fits in the top horizontally.
Or consider the Osprey Volt 75 like this https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-bear-container/
It's one of their "no frills" pack. Doesn't have as many bells and whistles as other Osprey packs (and only comes in one size). As such, it's one of their cheaper packs, and only weights a hint over 4lbs.
I purchased the Osprey Volt 75 for a JMT thru hike... needed something I could carry a 20lbs bear canister (Bearikade Expedition loaded with 10 days of supplies).
The few negative reviews the pack seems to get has to do with fit (after all, this is a one-size-fits-most). I found it to be comfortable, and had it loaded with as much as 55lbs during my JMT hike.
Compare that to the Osprey Aether AG 70 or Osprey Xenith 75 that can weight 5 to 5-1/2 pounds for the same volume.
You can find useful information in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gERC5iigcI8
So if you need rent a bear canister you can chose this.
Hediuiea
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Renting Bear Canisters

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:23 am

I disagree - do not choose packs based on whether it holds a bear canister.

Choose a pack based on how comfortable it is, how well it fits, with all your gear including the bear canister inside it. This will be a different pack for everyone. It has to be the right size, the right fit, to not feel like someone tenderized you with a meat mallet all day.

First - go to the Yosemite page and look at the list of bear canisters accepted by the park to choose your bear canister.

Second - choose food that fits inside it, repackaging everything into bags. Pack the can without leaving huge air spaces. Don't take fresh fruit or crackers or anything you don't want pulverized. First day of food does not need to go inside the can btw.

Third - pack your pack and add bear canister.

I use a ULA Circuit, btw. I get a Bearikade Weekender with all my other gear inside. The rest of the equation is always what you take, or not.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking