Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Half Dome Permit

Discussion about hiking to the top of Half Dome, planning the trip, and when the Half Dome cables are installed in Spring or removed in Fall.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Half Dome Permit

Postby priya1234 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:07 pm

Hello everyone,

I applied for half dome permit back in March and also couple of times in the past month but was not successful. I have been training to hike half dome for couple of months now. Does anyone have spare permits in their group for 2 ppl for the next 2 weekends? Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Neha
priya1234
First-timer
First-timer
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:46 pm

Re: Half Dome Permit

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:48 pm

You could always wait a few weeks until the cables are down and go without a permit. They don't require permits after they remove the posts.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster
 
Posts: 1697
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 6:57 pm
Location: Central Valley California

Re: Half Dome Permit

Postby Merkeller » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:31 pm

AlmostThere wrote:You could always wait a few weeks until the cables are down and go without a permit. They don't require permits after they remove the posts.

I doubt that would be safe.
User avatar
Merkeller
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:20 pm

Re: Half Dome Permit

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:25 am

Merkeller wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:You could always wait a few weeks until the cables are down and go without a permit. They don't require permits after they remove the posts.

I doubt that would be safe.


Yes, the hundreds who do it add a little risk. yet don't care....

Probably safer, actually, than with the cables up -- no idiots shaking the cables around, no terrified flocks frozen in place halfway up....
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster
 
Posts: 1697
Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 6:57 pm
Location: Central Valley California

Re: Half Dome Permit

Postby Merkeller » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:39 am

AlmostThere wrote:Probably safer, actually, than with the cables up -- no idiots shaking the cables around, no terrified flocks frozen in place halfway up....

You know, that actually makes perfect sense. :shock:
I didn't think about that.
User avatar
Merkeller
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:20 pm


Return to Half Dome Hiking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest