Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search

Ten Lakes area as part of a 4-nighter?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: Ten Lakes area as part of a 4-nighter?

Postby robow8 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:23 am

Justin-T wrote:Plan would be to park in the Valley and get the glacier point tour bus up to GP. I think it typically leaves at 8:30, then we’d get the free Badger Pass shuttle back to Mono Meadow. But if I’m mistaken it would be good to know that now...

Reserve you tour tickets early; it does sell out. Also, sometimes the tour driver will let you out at Mono Meadow if you ask nicely. But you won't see that on any official park page.
robow8
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Justin-T » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:46 am

robow8 wrote:Reserve you tour tickets early; it does sell out. Also, sometimes the tour driver will let you out at Mono Meadow if you ask nicely. But you won't see that on any official park page.

OK, thanks, good to know. By "early" do you mean months, weeks, days? Are they also OK with backpackers loading their huge packs onto the bus?
Justin-T
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby robow8 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:21 pm

Justin-T wrote:
robow8 wrote:Reserve you tour tickets early; it does sell out. Also, sometimes the tour driver will let you out at Mono Meadow if you ask nicely. But you won't see that on any official park page.

OK, thanks, good to know. By "early" do you mean months, weeks, days? Are they also OK with backpackers loading their huge packs onto the bus?

I would get reservations after you have reserved a permit.
They have big luggage storage bins on the busses, so backpacks are no problem.
robow8
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby damu21 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:26 am

i am planning a route for this summer mid july starting at ten lakes:

first night camp would be somewhere in the vicinity of tuolumne peak.
my goal for day 2 would be to get to clouds rest area
day 3 if i am lucky enough to get a permit would be a half dome hike and camping somewhere along sunrise creek afterwards
day 4 would be a hike down into the valley via the mist trail.

let me know what you think!
damu21
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Phil » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:54 am

damu21 wrote:i am planning a route for this summer mid july starting at ten lakes:

first night camp would be somewhere in the vicinity of tuolumne peak.
my goal for day 2 would be to get to clouds rest area
day 3 if i am lucky enough to get a permit would be a half dome hike and camping somewhere along sunrise creek afterwards
day 4 would be a hike down into the valley via the mist trail.

let me know what you think!

I think that's an ambitious first day that defeats the entire purpose of going to the Ten Lakes basin to begin with.

Coming in from the west, your starting point is actually going to be Yosemite Creek. The climb up from there isn't particularly difficult, but it will tire you out. You'll go up and over Ten Lakes Pass, then drop down to the lakes, which you might as well stop to enjoy. After that, you climb some more, then drop down hard to the South Fork of Cathedral Creek, skirt the creek for about a mile and a half, then climb some more up to Tuolumne Peak. The only real camping up there are a pair of tarns on the west side, a bit up towards the pass (if you have water), or at the pair of tarns on the east side. With the latter, if you come in late in the day, as you will if you're planning to go from start to there in a day, don't plan on finding a site, because it does tend to get crowded sometimes....too many people and too little privacy for me. Be realistic and take the time to enjoy your surroundings, and split Yosemite Creek > Tuolumne Peak into at least a 2 day affair. Then hit CR on the third day, or better yet, spend the third day making your way over to the area around May Lake, and hit CR on the 4th day.

Having read your PM, since you couldn't get a permit out of Tuolumne, you're treating Ten Lakes as just a means to an end because of permit availability. Ten Lakes is a whole other trip, and honestly, I'll take that over the JMT highway or the Half Dome/CR/Sunrise Creek cluster #$%& of crowds, any day. To me, the secret is to get away from the people and competition of dealing with all that comes along with it and enjoy my outing, not to throw myself into the heart of them.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking