Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Waterwheel Falls Hike in 1 day?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Waterwheel Falls Hike in 1 day?

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:28 am

Author: Michael (---.118-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: 04-19-05 20:14

Can I hike all the way from the roadside trailhead on 120 to Waterwheel Falls and then back in 1 day? My hiking partner and I aren't that comfortable camping, but we'd really like to see the falls. Our trip is planned last week of June.

Re: Waterwheel Falls Hike in 1 day?
Author: Dan Anderson (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: 04-20-05 07:28

I hiked from Tioga Road to Waterwheel Falls and back in a day. It was a *long* day (my wife just said "God--tell them how long it is). There's a lot of downhill and little or no shade toward the end. It's worth it. Nice series of waterfalls starting with Glen Aulin.

Author: Elyse (167.230.38.---)
Date: 04-20-05 12:24

How far in miles is this hike? Thanks.

Date: 04-20-05 12:30

Something like 16-18 miles. So at 2 miles an hour, it's definitely ALL day.

Author: Michael (---.118-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: 04-20-05 19:09

Thanks for your help. I just always think back to the first time I hiked the Mist Trail, which can't be more than a 2 or 3 miles one way, I took me like 6 hours.

Why you might ask? I probably took 200 pictures. This will be my first time hiking this area, so I don't know if we'll be able to do it in one day. Two miles an hour is brisk.

Author: Phil (---.anhmca.adelphia.net)
Date: 05-03-05 23:32

My friend and I hiked in and out in june of 2002 in one day easily eough. I was 48 and he was about 39 but we were in reasonably good shape. My 58 year old brother is coming out in June and we're planning on doing it in one day, but we're hiking around town and on hills as much as possible with back packs a month in advance to get in better shape for it, especially since we're older now. It's a glorous hike and well worth the effort. Wear good shoes, take plenty of fluids, start early and you'll do fine. Just go for it and enjoy! I've hiked in quite a few places in Yosemite and that is my favorite hike to date...

Author: john rodgers (---.ded.pacbell.net)
Date: 05-20-05 13:54

I've hiked to WWF and back to Toulomne Meadows in 1 day on three occassions. The hike is approx. 18 mi. round trip. You' re flanking the river on the trail for most of the way down. There are several tributary crossings on the trail so be prepared to take off your shoes during crossings or you will be hiking a long way with wet foot gear. Generally speaking, the hike is best in late June to early August. Two years ago, my girlfriend and I got skunked in terms of shock and awe factor when we arrived at WWF. It was late August and the volume of water cascading over the granite was so low (trickle) that I was able to walk across the falls. During the early summer to mid summer WWF is spectacular with numerous 50 - 100 ft. rooster tails of water being shot up into the air forming "wheels of water." If you attempted a crossing during this condition, you would be dead in a second due to the volume and power of the water flowing over the granite pitch. Additionally, on my three visits to WWF, I have only encountered one or two hikers at the actual falls. It's an awesome experience to witness WWF in all of its glory with no or few hikers in sight. Be advised that you will encounter numerous hikers on the way down and up due to the location of the popular Glen Aulin backpacker's camp. I wouldn't carry extra drinking water. Just bring a water filter as there are numerous locations on the trail to fill up your drinking bottles. Moreover, there are plenty of water holes on the trail to take a refreshing dip in the river when needed. As a general rule of thumb, plan approx. 1.5 hrs of additional hiking time for the way home, most of it's uphill. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the very best hike I've ever done, WWF gets a 10! FYI, 2005 has been one of the worst winters in calif. history. It's going to be a late snowmelt. The WWF window of opportunity will be extended.

Author: patrick (---.138.popsite.net)
Date: 07-01-05 09:26

I see that the tioga pass road just opened 24june. Has anybody been
into toulome? I would like to know if the snow is mostly off the ground
into the falls area (I dont know the route but wouldnt be surprised if
there is snow still)

Date: 07-01-05 10:24

Someone else has posted a link in the phorum showing Tuolumne Meadows. It shows mostly isolated patches there.

You're hiking down to Waterwheel Falls and it's a lot warmer there than Tuolumne.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking