Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Cloud's Rest Distance

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Cloud's Rest Distance

Postby dan » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:09 pm

Author: Ashvin Dewan (---.houston.rr.com)
Date: 10-14-02 19:35

How far is Clouds Rest one way from the valley? I am really eager to hike to Cloud' rest, but not that keen on bringing my backpacking equipment up with me to CA . Is it a feasible day hike In late November? Anyone attempt Clouds rest roundtrip from the valley? And if so, how long did it take them?

Thanks again,
~AShvin

Re: Cloud's Rest Distance
Author: Dan Anderson (---.ca.us)
Date: 10-14-02 20:30

It's 6000' up from the Valley floor and about 11 miles one way from Happy Isles.

Author: Mike (---.dsl.sktn01.pacbell.net)
Date: 10-15-02 08:20

I've heard of people doing it that way. It would make for a long day for sure. That 22 mile round trip would certainly be easier than my 22 mile round trip to Whitney and back!

Author: A Dewan (---.hanszen.rice.edu)
Date: 10-17-02 12:14

Oh man Im so confused! I was hoping for a more lesuirely hike than 22 miles roundtrip. I think this is going to have to be a backpacking affair afterall!

Another question to bother you with. Ideally now Id like to spend the first day backpacking to Clouds Rest. What is the closest backpacking campsite to Clouds Rest? After enjoying a sunrise or sunset from there, the next morning Id backpack back to the valley.

And furthermore, someone pointed out to me that snow cover in late Nov could be an issue in the area. Do you have any experience in the area that time of year? Is trail tracking an issue? Or are the trails well marked?

Thanks Again..
~Ashvin

Author: Mike (---.dsl.sktn01.pacbell.net)
Date: 10-17-02 12:50

I know you can camp on Clouds Rest, but there isn't any water nearby. The closest campground would be Little Yosemite Valley.

Snow could be an issue, but I still think November is rather early to be really concerned, but that's just my opinoin based on a guess. My only winter experience in that area was as far as Nevada Falls, December 18, 1999. Took my wife up there on her birthday and had lunch. There wasn't much snow up there.

You may have trouble finding the trail after a snowfall, I don't think it's marked for winter travel as some trails out of Badger Pass Ski Resort are.

Author: A Dewan (---.hanszen.rice.edu)
Date: 10-17-02 16:07

Thanks again mike!

Author: Jerblock (204.76.113.---)
Date: 10-14-04 09:43

You can check out how much snow is there via - http://www.yosemite.org/vryos/sentinelcam.htm

Author: kathie campbell (---.dsl.frsn02.pacbell.net)
Date: 09-11-05 16:43

I saw your email trail about Cloud's rest and was interested in knowing the best starting point for hiking to Cloud's Rest from Tuolumne meadows. I had heard there is a 14 mile RT loop that starts there. Where would be the most likely places to camp over in Tuolumne meadows?

Author: Dan Anderson (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: 09-11-05 17:25

The best trail head is from the west side of Tioga Lake.

If you wish to leave from Tuolumne Meadows, start out at the Cathedral Lakes trailhead (a mile or so west of the Tuolumne Meadows visitor center). Head south on the John Muir trail.

At Sunrise High Sierra Camp, leave the John Muir Trail to a trail to Sunrise Lakes and on to Clouds Rest.

Camp over at the Backpackers Campground in Tuolumne Meadows. You have to have a Wilderness Permit to camp there (also good for the next or previous day). You can also reserve a car camp site at the campground.

Campground map for Tuolumne is at
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/maps/campground_maps.html
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Cloud's Rest

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:29 am

Author: James (---.sbcox.net)
Date: 03-24-05 08:44

Will it be possible to go up to Cloud's Rest in the 3rd week of April. We plan to bring snow shoes but is an ice axe and crampons advisable?

Re: Cloud's Rest
Date: 03-24-05 09:03

Yes. The peak is usually icy. It has large granite blocks on top.

Author: Derick (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: 06-11-05 12:28

has anyone been up there recently (late may / early june)? are crampons still necessary?

Author: Dave (209.243.128.---)
Date: 06-13-05 18:04

Was up there on Saturday the 11th and still snow after the .6 mile sign, but no need for crampons. You might be doing some post holing and sliding on the way back down =).
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Cloud's Rest day hike--try it from Tenaya Lake

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:31 am

Author: John Chappell (---.rev.o1.com)
Date: 10-04-04 23:14

I have done the Half Dome hike three times now. Once at the end of July 04 and also September 18th and 19th, 2004. I would like to go from Happy Isles to Cloud's Rest and then back. My Half Dome hikes were done in seven hours. Has anyone done the Cloud's Rest hike in a day? How long did it take? What was your start time and return time? Thanks for any replies.

Cloud's Rest day hike--try it from Tenaya Lake
Date: 10-05-04 00:36

I've done it backpacking, never as a day hike. I remember seeint people coming up the trail from Little Yosemite Valley to Cloud's Rest and they sure didn't look very happy. It's a long grind up the trail and it doesn't have many switchbacks like the trail to Half Dome does.

I would seriously consider getting an early start from Tenaya Lake. Less elevation gain and you get the same view (and nicer scenery along the way that's not so crowded). Start from the trailhead at the WEST end of Tenaya Lake. The trail heads over the outflow of Tenaya Lake, so the first quarter mile or so is WET (bring sandles or something you don't mind getting wet for this first part).

Re: Cloud's Rest day hike--try it from Tenaya Lake
Author: John Chappell (---.rev.o1.com)
Date: 10-05-04 22:36

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I must begin at Happy Isles this time. Looks like the weather forecast has improved and I will have a chance to make this hike on Saturday October 9th. Can't wait!
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

How is the hike from Valley to Clouds Rest

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:13 am

Author: Brittan Burns (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: 03-16-05 15:25

I have hiked Half Dome and really enjoyed it. I finished it in 7 hours round shape. I'm in good shape and live in Orange County. My friends want to hike Clouds Rest this summer. We will be starting from the Valley Flour in the Upper Pines camp ground.

Any thoughts on this hike? How long will it probably take. How much more diffiecult will it be then Half Dome?

Thanks.

Re: How is the hike from Valley to Clouds Rest
Date: 03-17-05 07:44

It sounds like you're in shape for Clouds Rest. It's a killer. There's a long uphill stretch with no water (but its mostly shaded). It will take a couple more hours to do than Half Dome.

I recommend doing Half Dome from Tenaya Lake instead. Prettier alpine scenery, cooler, and not as much elevation gain. The trailhead is on the west side of Tenaya Lake, just off Tioga Road. Head south. The trail immediately crosses the outlet of Tenaya Lake.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking