Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Locations for Fire Wood????

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Locations for Fire Wood????

Postby doorjok » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:35 pm

I have read that there may be some locations outside of Yosemite Valley where you may collect fire wood called Wood Yards where you can collect wood for free or at a reduced price. I was wondering if anybody is aware of the locations of these yards. I did read about one near Wawona inside the park but have not been able to find a location.

Or are there any places who sell fire wood near Oakhurst that you can recommend so we can purchase before we enter the park.

I am traveling to Yosemite with a boy scout troop for camping in Upper Pines for several days and would prefer to not have to pay tons of cash to the concession in the valley for bundled fire wood.

Thank you in advance!
Doorjok
doorjok

Re: Locations for Fire Wood????

Postby dan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:02 pm

Offhand, it sounds like you found a cheap source. I wonder if the wood has been split--it may just be 1.5' or 3' logs. One can split it with an axe, but it is certainly more work.

Raley's grocery store in Oakhurst sells split wood, as do other grocery stores and hardware stores there and in Mariposa. But then again those are just bundles of split food, lightly cheaper than the Yosemite Park stores.

You might try Craigs List or similar for a local source.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby doorjok » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:07 pm

Well considering all of the invasive threats to the trees in the forest, they recommend bringing in wood from a 50 mile radius only. Nothing further. The problem with bundled wood from a store is that you are not sure where it comes from.

I was hoping for some insight on a local vendor near Oakhurst I can purchase from or info on those wood yards. They are supposed to be where the parks service drops off downed trees before it is picked up and hauled away. The wood is free of charge and local so there is no issues with importing invasive insects or diseases.

I will try Craigslist. Thank you for the imput.
doorjok

Postby doorjok » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:19 pm

I just found this but it was uploaded onto a different forum in 2012.
If one wants to save money on purchasing firewood for Yosemite, the most economical method is to purchase a Wood Permit from the Park Service El Portal Fiscal Office either by mail or in person. The cost of the permit is $10 per cord with a 6 cords per year limit. The wood lots where one can collect the firewood are located in El Portal, Foresta, Hodgdon Meadows, Wawona, and Yosemite Valley. The Yosemite Valley wood lot (unless they have recently changed its location) is at the junction of the Old Big Oak Flat Road and Northside Drive. One can confirm the current locations of the wood lots by contacting the El Portal Fiscal Office at 1-209-379-1869.
doorjok

Postby dan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:08 am

Good point about the store bought wood. I wonder about the store wood within the park.

I doubt if the wood at the wood lots are split, so you might call them if that's a concern.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:20 am

The wood lot in the valley is at milepost 7 at an unsigned gate that is also the rockslides trailhead. The wood is not split.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby robow8 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:20 pm

AlmostThere wrote:The wood lot in the valley is at milepost 7 at an unsigned gate that is also the rockslides trailhead. The wood is not split.

Get a little energy out of those Scouts splitting wood!
robow8
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Paddy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:29 am

AlmostThere wrote:The wood lot in the valley is at milepost 7 at an unsigned gate that is also the rockslides trailhead. The wood is not split.

AT,
How recent is your info ?

Last time I got some firewood at this location it was being shut down (2015 ?). The guy who worked there was hauling all the wood out. He told me the plan was to restore this location to its original wilderness.

BTY, one has to have wood permit to get wood here. Chainsaw is strongly recommended. I did not have one so the picking was very slim. Most of the log were about 5 ft long with diameters of 2 ft or more. Beside that, most of the wood were fresh cut. Don't expect dry firewood here.
Paddy
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Paddy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:32 am

dan wrote:Good point about the store bought wood. I wonder about the store wood within the park.

I doubt if the wood at the wood lots are split, so you might call them if that's a concern.

No. I have never seen them split. Even at the free wood pile at Camp 4. I always bring my ax along.
Paddy
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds