Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

glacier point winter camping

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

glacier point winter camping

Postby andykee » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:30 am

Last February I snowshoed to Glacier Point from Badger Pass (out and back in a day). The thought of snowshoeing an almost marathon this year doesn't seem too appealing, so I'm thinking about camping near Glacier Point. As far as I can tell from the NPS documentation, camping is allowed near GP (just not at the overlook itself), but no mention is made about fires. Since there are no established campsites near GP, there are obviously no fire rings (additionally, they'd be buried under feet of snow).

Does anyone know the fire regulations for backcountry travel during the winter?
andykee
Regular
Regular

Postby Wickett » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:08 pm

No fires in the winter, the thought is that with all of the downed wood buried under the snow that people will attack the trees for some.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby andykee » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:12 pm

that's what I was afraid of. Oh well, no fire for me :(
andykee
Regular
Regular

Postby harryjone » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:03 pm

i have never been to glacier.............but i love to visit this place

i cant imagine how u survive without fire....
harryjone

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:21 am

Adequate clothing, a good sleeping bag, and a white gas stove with plenty of fuel.

People survive without fires all the time. If you don't know how, don't go winter camping without studying up on it, or without an experienced winter camper. You'll be fine. Just a matter of skill and the right gear.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Winter in Yosemite