Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Yosemite Backpacking Questions

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Yosemite Backpacking Questions

Postby Wisconnie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:44 am

So it looks like this is the place to have a few questions answered that I have regarding a backpacking trip I have scheduled in Yosemite from June 12th thru the 16th. I live in Wisconsin and have a fair amount of camping experience but need some local advice. I have also visited Yosemite once but stayed in lodging with two pregnant women in our group so our options for sightseeing were kind of limited. So I have made a little list of questions/concerns I have so hopefully one of you knowledgeable veterans of this forum can help me out.

My trip leaves Tuolumne Meadows on Sat the 12th via Rafferty Creek/Vogelsang and hope to make a couple day loop thru Merced Lake,Sunrise and Tenya Lake.

Any more specifics on the weather I expect? Temperature? Rain?

Is there anything along that general path that is a “must see”?

How is the parking in Tuolumne Meadows?

I really would like to leave on Fri. the 11th, what are my chances of getting out a day early? My current pass is valid for the 12th but I am ok getting to the park super early and waiting/sleeping in line at a ranger station.

About how many people stay at the back country campsites per night?

I appreciate any and all info and thank you so much for your help.
Wisconnie
First-timer
First-timer

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:14 pm

You should double check the weather during the week leading up to your trip - the easiest way is by the clickable map on the NOAA website. No one can tell you what the weather will be like this early.

However, it's very likely that you will encounter some snow on the ground, possibly over the trail. So be prepared with the map/compass just in case there is significant coverage in shaded parts of the route. You might also want some gaiters in case you are postholing through it.

You have a permit I assume - they are very inflexible about that starting date. If you want to stand in line to leave on the 11th, you will need to be there the morning of the 10th if you want to be absolutely sure of getting a permit. You may be able to get a permit without issue as late as the 11th, but they release the first come first served wilderness permits the DAY BEFORE not the day of. The other tactic is to wait until the day you want to leave and show up after 10 am, when they release unclaimed reserved permits - but that too is a risk.

And finally, you could always call and reserve another wilderness permit for the 11th, same as you did the one for the 12th, if there are still reservable permits. :)

The rangers request that you use established sites/fire rings - however, you may camp anywhere in the backcountry, in accordance with the regulations and exceptions listed on the Yosemite website. Little Yosemite Valley and the areas around the High Sierra Camps are examples of exceptions. No one can tell you how many people will be at those sites, just that if you stay there, you have to be in the designated areas. Those areas get very busy in summer. However, you're going out fairly early and so may find it less crowded.

Lastly - you may be unable to go on the hike at all, if Tioga Pass remains closed that late - it usually opens in late May. But opening the road depends on the progress of the snow melt, so there is the possibility you may have to reroute your hike. You might check out some of the lower elevation possibilities in advance and have some in mind.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby centurycyclist » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:01 pm

I have NEVER had a problem parking somewhere in Tuolumne. Just be flexible. Can I talk you out of going up Rafferty Creek to Vogelsang, rather taking the John Muir Trail via the Lyell Canyon? yes, longer, but worth EVERY step in scenery. The Rafferty Creek Trail is probably OK being that you are doing it in June, but Lyell Cyn is spectacular. Plus, you are going UP either way, but Lyell Cyn is flat until you go over the pass---still, along what is likely a raging Ireland creek in June. Do it and you will NOT regret it. ( I have done both, and will never go back UP Rafferty Creek
centurycyclist
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby centurycyclist » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:04 pm

Forgot to mention, again, take the longer route to Sunrise via the John Muir Trail from Merced Lake. Not that much longer, and my opinion is that it is much more scenic on the earlier part of the trail...then again, not much is bad in Yosemite, is there?
centurycyclist
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:19 am

I completely disagree. Echo Creek / Cathedral Fork up from Echo Valley
and over to Sunrise is WAY more scenic.
The JMT from the Forsyth Trl. Junction to very close to Sunrise HSC
is anything but spectacular. Mostly in the trees with just a few
views. If you get off the trail you can find great spots to camp
but... most people will just blaze to Sunrise.
If they really wanted the most scenic they would've routed the JMT
to Echo Valley then up Echo Crk. and then cut East of the Dolly Domes
to Sunrise HSC.

Anyway, you are right in that it is all good though. Just some is
better than others...
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking